vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: School caches

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    And police DO stop and ask when they see someone "snooping around". We've been stopped at least 5 times that I can remember - twice by shopping mall security types. On one occasion, a local cop pulled over, rolled down the passenger side window, and asked, "Did you find it?". LOL!

I've done that a few times and met a lot of nice cachers along the way I wonder if it would be acceptable to activate caches back there for the summer months and disable them during the school year? Any thoughts??
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    I've done that a few times and met a lot of nice cachers along the way I wonder if it would be acceptable to activate caches back there for the summer months and disable them during the school year? Any thoughts??
    It is often done for the Winter, but an entire school year is a long time to be disabled. And most school caches are still doable after hours or on weekends. I also think if the school is going to place a cache they should be responsible and let the entire staff know of it's existence.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-30-2009 at 07:12 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    I read Brdad's comments and I agree. Any "off limits" periods should be very short. A school cache only available during the summer months is not a good idea, IMHO...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I read Brdad's comments and I agree. Any "off limits" periods should be very short. A school cache only available during the summer months is not a good idea, IMHO...
    That's the way I was leaning, but I was curious to see how other cachers felt. Thanks!!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by Team V3 View Post
    My attitude is that it just goes to show they are doing their job. If a police asks me what I am doing I would tell them about geocaching (if they are already not aware of it). While I think stealth is good, there comes a point when too much stealth becomes not stealthy at all. Also, I am a firm believer that there is nothing wrong with what we are doing so we should not feel paranoid, just respectful. I think each one of us as cachers should be doing it tastefully and remember that we can all be "goodwill ambassadors" of the game. That is just as important (if not more so) than stealth.
    And again I agree with TV3 . . . in fact I used to be really, really stealthy . . . and then I realized that by attempting to be sneaky I was probably looking mighty suspicious to any would be watchers.

I mean to say, if you're not doing anything wrong, why hide the fact that you're geocaching . . . I've found that like many things in life if you act like whatever you're doing is perfectly normal and not hiding the fact, most folks will look and assume that whatever you're doing is legal and OK . . . at the most some of the more curious folks will ask what you are doing giving you an excuse to explain geocaching.

Let me give you an example . . . if you're sneaking around in a parking lot next to a mall driving in circles (well that would be me with my Magellan) trying to conceal your GPSr someone will most likely think something is up . . . a drug deal is going down, some would be Al Anti-Macy's Quaida terrorist is striking a blow against rampant US commer******m or you're a kidnapper who is looking to kidnap some 52-year-old Macy shopper . . . but if you're out in the open with the GPSr and looking like you're there for a reason you might get some looks and maybe some questions . . . possibly Security might stop by . . . but if you're out front and open about things there's usually no problem. At best, no one bothers you . . . at worse Security or the local law enforcement stops by and asks you some questions . . . although I suspect many folks in LE know about geocaching.

As I said, if you act normal and don't try to hide or be stealthy, generally things work out pretty well . . . although there was that time in college when my two buddies and I "snuck" into a free dinosaur laser light show at the Concord Planetarium by claiming to be with the college newspaper and radio station (which was technically true . . . although I never wrote an article for the paper, my "photographer" buddy never had any film in the camera and the micro-casette recorder being used by my radio news buddy didn't have any batteries) . . . so maybe being sneaky sometimes works.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Great suggestions and comments! The cache in the article was located in shrubbery in the divider of a driveway circling around about 50 ft from the front entrance. Anyone attempting it during school hours would be highly visible from many areas of the school. Being both retired school teachers, we can relate to the issues involved placing caches around schools. We prefer to do these caches on weekends or school vacations but that is still dependent on whether there are outdoor events going on. After being stopped by the state police while searching for a guard-rail cache, using caution around schools is a no-brainer.
    Wandering with a purpose!