vb:literal>

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourself

Default Tell us about yourself

Lets here a little bit about you and where you’re from.

I will start it out.

I am Attroll on here and that is my geocache name. To break the name down it the first part is abbreviated. It really means Appalachian Trail Troll. Because I am an Appalachian Trail enthusiasts

I was born and raised in Brunswick. I then served 20 years in the US Navy. Then retired to where I live now in Litchfield. I bought my GPS originally for my snowmobiling trips because sometimes it was confusing as to which trail I was suppose to take on the return trip on my excursions up in northern Maine. But one day I was looking at a friends Yahoo profile and they mentioned geocaching. So I asked them what it was. They explained it and sent me to the geocaching web site. So I tried doing one. The first one got me and my family hooked. We have been doing it ever since.

First off, br stands for brian, and dad, is me, his father. I'm a native Mainer, trained as an electrician but do just about anything for a buck now. I originally got my GPS to make ATV trail maps and to find old foundations and such which were marked on some early 1900's maps I found on the internet. I started caching in June of 2002, and met my geopal MsTeeLee at the first BBQ event and still love it!

Smile

Well let's see.my last name is Hafenecker and since I was a kid my friends always shortened it up to Haffy, so here I am.I got into geocaching kind of by accident.I was just surfing the net one day and happened upon an article about geocaching and thought to myself that is something I would really enjoy doing. Just getting out and seeing sights that normally I wouldn't have found on my own.I purchased my present GPS'r a Garmin Vista in June of last year and well it's been a year now.I happened to check out geocaching.com's forum and went directly to Clayjar's forum one evening and atarted to talk with but who else.Brdad. Told him I was interested in meeting some people to cache with and he volunteered his services.We met out at the China School Forest cache where he introduced me to this activity and it all began from there. Hey Thanks Brdad.Now I am hooked like all the rest of you Mainacs.

Talking This feels like some sort of geocaching anonymous meeting!

Hi! We're Team Trout. We're a family of geocachers who live in Standish, Maine.

We knew about geocaching for some time, but it wasn't until March of 2003 that we actually gave it a try. We're hooked now (pun fully intended)!

There are 6 of us, my wife and I and our 4 children, plus we try to bring our dog along whenever we can. We have two sons, 9 and 6, and two daughters 3 and almost 1 year.

Geocaching appeals to us for a bunch of reasons, as I 'm sure it does to most everyone else. It gets us out and about as a family exploring parts of the state we would have never seen otherwise. It gives us some exercise, which I sorely need. The kids love the whole treasure hunting aspect of it and they love getting to pick their own trinkets. We get to all spend time together in the great outdoors trying our best to act as a team and work together towards the common goal of finding the cache. The planning and reasearch that goes into a hunt or a hide as well as the use of the internet and the GPS technology, and the map reading, outdoor and survial skills used all have an educational value for the kids.

We had geocached for almost a year before we ever encountered another geocacher on the trail. Since then we have met other geacachers on the hunt 8 or more times. Each time it has been fun swapping tales and comparing notes. With that in mind I though there should be an online forum where Maine gecachers could go. That's why I started the Yahoo group, Geocaching Maine.

Shortly after I did that, I was contacted by Rick, aka attroll, and he explained that unbeknownst to anyone else, he had been working on starting this very website and was on the verge of it being ready for the world when I started the Yahoo group.

And here we are today!
    Last edited by Team Trout; 06-24-2004 at 12:25 PM.

My husband and I started caching just last year. Heard about this type of acitivity from his co-worker and checked it out on the web. We've been "addicted" ever since! We get out caching whenever we can.
    I/We came across this nickname by using an ancient definition of my name, Sylvia aka silva. Latin for,
    the forest; or, forest fairy, or woodland nymph....you get the idea...

My "shadow" and I cache together all the time. He operates the GPS while I get to do the best part...THE HUNT! We both enjoy the outdoors and spend a lot of time hunting, fishing or caching! Our dog, Chance, goes caching with us most of the time. She is a brittany spaniel with lots of energy to spend. We also have inherited an older yet smaller size dog who sometimes needs to be carried on longer hunts. With the tick population as it is, we leave them at home rather than spend endless hours removing ticks later in the day!

In the near future, our first granddaughter will be born! YEAH! We're in hopes we can instill this "addiction" of caching as soon as we can get her up and walking; maybe even get her parents into it too. Our grandson is 5 and lives in Hawaii so we don't get to see him much at all.

In the first year of caching, we've only met one other cacher on the trail. At the moment I can't remember their nic...but do remember them being from Belfast. (Will have to look it up later)

Ok,....if you see the shrekmobile (ugly ogre-colored car) BEEP!
    We're in it probably geocaching! Hope to see everyone out there on the trails.
    Last edited by Forest_Nymph; 06-24-2004 at 08:44 PM.
    Silva, of the forest

Beneath you, feel the Earth.
    Above you, feel the Sky.
    Around you, feel the presence and the Power
    of the Trees!

It all started when I won a safety award at work and used the money to purchase a GPS reciever. I had heard about caching on Bill Greens Maine. As a family, (the wife, 2 kids, 2 goldens and myself) like most anything outdoors. My daughter says I'm Pooh shaped hence the name.

Default Geomaineiacs, I am

I bought a GPS in the winter of 2003 to use on my boat on the coast--I had taken a navigating course but wanted some backup in heavy fog. Found out about geocaching soon after and love it. My son is interested too, but I am the one with the obsession. I like going to interesting natural places in Maine that I otherwise wouldn't know about. I really enjoy talking to all of you folks on geocaching chat, but admit I have been pitiful about missing the get-togethers. One request, please try out my cache One for the Loafers on Sugarloaf Mountain. TAT did it last fall and a skier from CT did it during the winter, but otherwise it is feeling pretty lonely. Granted, it is a quite a long hike, though it is on ski trails. Thanks for setting up this site!
    Last edited by Geomaineiacs; 06-24-2004 at 08:23 PM.

I (jen) started off in ScottJenColleen, but Scott lost interest and my mom (ann) joined us on a cache hunt and she was HOOKED!! We may not be the best cachers, but we throw a mean BBQ!!

Arrow All about RanMan22

Hey everybody.

First, attroll, thanks for the website. Looks awesome so far....great participation in such a short time!

Anyway.

I started Geocaching in May 2003 after reading an article in an in-flight magazine on my way back from North Carolina. I went out the next day and bought a GPS at Circuit City. Found "The Brady Gang" cache within 30 minutes of plopping the batteries in. Very cool.

I've gotten a few others hooked on the hobby. You know who you are.

Thanks again for the website...looking forward to some fun here.

-RanMan22

Well as my name shows I am the other half of Blazing Trolls. I am not a native Mainer but I'll never live anywhere else this is home now. We got involed in geocaching last year, I for one thinks its a blast. I love the hunt!! We even went geocaching the day after we got married in Apriil !! LOL
    Last edited by Tink; 06-24-2004 at 11:43 PM.