vb:literal>

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell us about yourself

I was introduced to geocaching last Christmas. My cousins were in the Boothbay area and took me on some neat caches. I borrowed my Dad's old Garmin GPS 45 and took off running around Bangor. Finally convinced that I would stick with this, I bought an Etrex Vista and haven't looked back This is the first exercise that I have found to drag me outside in the winter as well as enjoying Maine's beautiful summers.

RULOST2? and I are both retired from the US Army. We're about to give up our day jobs to become full-time geocachers. We frist heard about geocaching last summer when we were vacationing in northern Ontario, and heard a special on it on CBC Radio. We're hooked!

Default Some say I'm obsessed

This is awesome!!! We really needed this. It was great to meet so many of you at the picnic last weekend. A good time dispite the rain. I live in Brewer and I was born and raised in Maine.I've been caching for a year now, but I havent' hit the hot one hundred like some have in a short period of time (or more). Brdad you know who I mean, right? OK then. Plans are in the works for a September picnic. I will post details here and on geocaching .com in late July. Anyone in the area who feels like pitching in let me know.

Hello, all! I am (shhh, don't tell anyone!) just an evesdropper from Mass! Actually, I geocache when I can (been a little while since I nabbed one) and met attroll doing a cache up in Maine... we have since been chatting and talking regularly since he and I are both forum techies. I hope to do some really excellent scenic caches up there and learn where the good ones are from you guys. And you're welcome to visit my site too
    New England outdoors forum
    http://www.underonesky.com

Default Bluegrass Gyrl here...

I got started geocaching on 8-31-2003 (Percheron). We were introduced to the sport by mainepod, who is a co-worker with my better half, Motown Dawg. M.D. will occasionally join me on the trail with our sidekick Doogie (a terrier...non-gc name is Alexis). While walking the trail of my first cache I was busy thinking of a GC name. I was born in Kentucky and I do like Bluegrass music...so....(you get the picture).

When not geocaching, I earn a living as an audiologist (hearing spe******t). I work for a private practice in Yarmouth. I also love to cook, read, and knit.

I'm very happy to see such a great site for Maine's intrepid geocachers!

I'm a musician and teacher who's been caching since September '02. I was living in Dover, NH when I started and made frequent trips to visit my parents in Damariscotta (midcoast Maine), where thanks to caching I discovered some amazing places. Since then I've placed five caches in the Damariscotta area and will surely place many more. I have now cached in 8 states (NH, ME, MA, NY, NJ, CT, VT, LA) and 9 countries (USA, Mexico, France, Italy, Vatican City, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland) and I am happy to report that my favorite place to cache remains...yup, you guessed it--Maine.

I'm now looking for a music teaching job in the NYC area but will be spending a large part of the summer in Berwick, ME working on "Guys and Dolls," and, of course, chilling with the 'rents. I look forward to doing plenty of Maine caching, and meeting you all one of these days!

--Todd (IntotheWoods)

PS: My caching name refers to a show I had just finished working on when I started caching...I thought it was quite fitting for this hobby!

Smile

Hello, fellow cachers!

I am MsTeeLee of Bangor, Maine. I started caching on May 31, 2003 the day after my friend and co-worker RanMan22 told me about geocaching. One of my sons and his wife went with me on that first day and ever since I have been hunting down those treasures hidden in the woods, up on mountains, bluffs and down by the seashore! I had found about 65 on my own and with various friends before I met brdad at the Geochicks' event cache in Augusta last August. (Thank you, Jen and Ann!) Now, you will most likely find us caching together - unless I have to work and he is anxious to get yet another FTF!

The portablility of geocaching appeals to me, too! I have cached this past year in Texas, Virginia, DC, Florida, Arizona, New Hampshire and Maine! My biggest challenge in caching is not finding the cache - it's staying out of the swamps! Typically, if there is standing water, I don't go around it, I fall into it! The absolute worst was at Homeland (Brewer) where I fell into a sink hole, up to my neck, stingy bitey things in the water - oh, what an adventure that was! I'm a bit more careful now.

It's great having this forum to chat and I really like meeting other cachers on the trail and at events. Keep on caching!

Name's Mo.

As far as geocaching is concerned, I'm relatively new. Only 10 finds to date, but my first hunt was almost 3 years ago. Had a bad experience (two whining kids) and gave it up until I started again this past spring.

I'm a stay at home dad with three kids - Josie, 6; Jill, 4; and Toby, 2. They usually go with me on our treasure hunts, but sometimes I get to get out by myself. I enjoy both. My wife LeAnn has joined us on a couple as well.

I'm also involved in fourwheeling (Jeeps, not quads) and ham radio.
    Last edited by _mo_; 06-30-2004 at 08:26 AM.

My first experience with a gpsr was Christmas of 2002. I bought my son a Garmin Vista to use in Alaska. I wanted to make sure everything worked ok before I shipped it out to him so I experimented with it and the Topo software. I learned about geocaching and using the gpsr so I told my wife I just HAD to have one for Christmas. I got one and did two caches on Christmas day all alone. Charron, my wife, went with me on the next one, Squaw Head Cache, and has been hooked ever since. Parmachenee comes from a lake north of Rangeley where we spent many weeks during the summer with our children and my wife's family in a rustic cabin...no running water, no electricity. We all loved it!! They are fond memories we will always have. Geocaching has been a great experience....visiting places we didn't know existed, meeting great people, and staying healthy. We have gone from carrying many papers on our hunts to paperless. We use Earthmate Bluetooth gps with our Zire72 Palm for navigating. The Street Atlas and Cachemate software along with the Mapsource for the Garmin Vista are all fed data by gsak from our computer. I use the Garmin for the actual trekking. Don't you just love these toys!! Of course, we never leave home without our Delorme . I have to confess my wife still loves having the paper in her hands so don't be surprised to see her holding some if we run into each other. We hope to meet up with many of you on the hunt.
    Last edited by parmachenee; 01-08-2005 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee
    Being a retired teacher, I have a fetish for spelling...in my post it should be Rangeley.
    You should be able to see and edit function on your post so that you can go back and edit it.
    Blazing Troll