vb:literal>

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How did geocaching start for YOU?

Default How this insanity started!

On opening day of deer hunting in the fall of 2007, I lucked out and bagged a nice buck. I had purchased a 60csx years ago and used it hunting, snowmobilikng and on my ATV.

Being the first to bag a deer in the group I hunt with, my buddies were a bit over enthusiastic about having me be their "dog" and while I don't mind walking through the woods I decided to try geocaching. I'd heard about it from a friend who doesn't cache but told me "This sounds like something you'd like" so I went on the site, downloaded KK's Great Place to Launch cache and "launched" another new hobby! 20 months and over 2300 caches later I guess it's hard to deny my enthusiasm for the game. I'm fortunate to be my own boss and I have two great secretaries who have both been with me for over 30 years so I enjoy the luxury of sneaking off when the urge hits.

And Di loves caching as well, a very important factor. As I type this, she's making the sandwiches and other picnic stuff and wants to do the last of the 50 State series AND Sears Island today. We'll see! What a journey this continues to be!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Thanks, Brad, it does look great. I especially like Darterkitfox's log entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    there is A View of the Lake (A Rescue Rangers Cache) (GC149W5) by mainiac1957 (1.5/4) It hasn't been visited since fall of 2007. If the weather is good, then there is no better view of Flagstaff Lake, with a cache.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Default How it all started!!!!

I am a Deputy Sheriff with Washington County. Our Lt. always emails us all kinds of different intell from around the state. He fowarded us an email that he received from an officer in Southern Maine. The officer wrote that he had been patroling in a town park when he noticed a couple with what he thought was a pipe bomb. Needless to say it was a tense moment. After some investigating he found it to be a Geocache. He send the email to help other officers who might incounter the same thing.

After reading the email I searched geocaching and found the website and was amazed to see some caches right in my back yard. That afternoon I ordered a GPS and have been finding and hiding ever since. By far the best hobby I've ever had.

I had heard of geocaching during baseball practice. Christmas that year I was given a GPSr and went on line and checked it out. I only did 5 caches in the first six months of that year because I was coaching little league and never remembered to bring the GPS. After the baseball season and allstars I started in finding a few caches and then the bug set in and I have not looked back! I have met some really nice people who have become great friends!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

As Paul Harvey would say "And now, the rest of the story." A couple of my co-workers had heard of geocaching and had mentioned it to me but I thought nothing about it. Then one of them came in to work with a TB and said "Look what I found." So I went online to see what this was all about and saw that there were quite a few geocaches in and around where I live in the Orrington/Bangor area (ya think?). And I recall thinking "I drive right by these things every day and had no idea they were there? No way." So I looked at a cache that Hollora had put out, just up the road from me, and clicked on the View Map. Seeing where it was I said "no way" and headed up. Well, I found it quickly hanging in an evergreen tree and thought to myself I'd better get a GPS and see if I can find more of these! A trip to Walmart in Ellsworth and I purchased (for $89) a Garmin GPS that was their display model, had one button missing, and no box or instruction booklet to go with it. I put batteries in it and used that GPS and a compass for my first 1,200 finds. And NOW I learn that there is an arow that points you to where you want to go, the distance to the cache, etc. What an eye opener!
    Anyway, my first year was complete bliss......find #1,000 was called Billy Bowlegs (down in Florida) and find #1,023 (the last find of my first year) was a mountaintop Groleau cache and a FTF....a super way to end 1 year of geocaching. Since then the time I can spend caching has been greatly curtailed. But I still go out every now and then. I've made some outstanding friends along the way and have had some of the best times of my life out on the trail. Today I'm fortunate to be alive and can thank geocaching for many great memories. This thread is about how we started in geocaching...and each and every one of these stories ends with how glad we are that we started. Now you know the rest of the story....

Default Inlaws sometimes mean good things

My brother-n-law (Macmo) talked about it a lot and my wife and I decided to try it in April of '07. He took us to Delorme, showed us how to use the Gps (he's much better at gadgets than I am) and took us to our first cache in Yarmouth. My niece then showed us how to use geo-senses. That really set the hook and the more I cache, the more I get into it.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?