vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Center of Maine --- Begging for a Cache

Hybrid View

Default Center of Maine --- Begging for a Cache

Just got the August issue of Down East magazine. There is an article about the geographic center of Maine. I there ever was a place that is begging for a cache, this is it. I will not be in Maine again until next year - so maybe someone could place a cache there. The co- ords are 45.25.622 - 69.14.310. Article is on page 15.

Anniebananie

Default It's possible.....

At first I thought it was the center of Houston Pond near Katahdin Iron Works. I fired up a second mapping program w/topo, and it's actually looking like it would be near the top of Houston Mtn. which has a peak around 1,388'. There is a 4x4 trail nearby....so maybe it could be the makings of an ORCA trip!
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcache View Post
    At first I thought it was the center of Houston Pond near Katahdin Iron Works. I fired up a second mapping program w/topo, and it's actually looking like it would be near the top of Houston Mtn. which has a peak around 1,388'. There is a 4x4 trail nearby....so maybe it could be the makings of an ORCA trip!
    that could be a possible thought. i've got a recon trip in the next couple of weeks looking for spots towards western maine. If those don't turn up some good stuff that part of maine is always a good fallback... (and because I know this question will probably be asked, the next possible TL event will probably be mid August weekend of the 15th, location and trip plan are still in the works)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Sheesh! Do I smell a "geographic centers" series of caches coming up? Find the geographic center of each Maine county and then the State.

Is that the center at high tide or low tide?
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Oooo - tricky!
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    now if youre going by the land boundries would you have to subtract the lakeshorelines too? or go by the water boundries that are set in the delorme? would the islands count too???
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

All of my maps show this location in shallow water 400 feet to the west of an island in Big Houston Lake.

I thought about doing geographic centers of the counties and state in the stats, but I also ran into discrepancies with the actual numbers, and it has to stop somewhere. Doesn't it?

Edit: I think my coords were off do to a misinterpretation. Carry on...
    Last edited by brdad; 07-13-2009 at 06:55 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I thought about doing geographic centers of the counties and state in the stats, but I also ran into discrepancies with the actual numbers, and it has to stop somewhere. Doesn't it?

Ahhh, No. Please no.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Default from the article

"Himmelstoss identified the center of Maine as a spot on map 42 of the Delorme atlas, in section E1, at the precise coordinates of (-69.2385 and 45.3937). “It’s in a bog at the west end of Roaring Brook Pond,” says Emily. That’s T7 R9 NWP in Piscataquis County.
    As for the center of New England itself, Himmelstoss felt reluctant to make a full disclosure. She’ll go so far as saying the center is in Norway, Maine, approximately 542 feet east of a spot on Shedd Road. The lack of specific coordinates comes courtesy of the landowner’s disdain for unwanted visitors.
    “[This story] has turned into something much, much bigger than either of us had anticipated,” says Emily. “I did this for my dad on my own time. It’s not sanctioned by USGS.” In fact, Emily notes that many different approximations can be made depending on the data, namely the outline of Maine or New England that is used. (In Emily’s case, for example, she did not include any islands.)
    Official or not, the results give residents of township T7 R9 NWP (if there are any two-legged ones) and Norway something to brag about. Not to mention two guys from Paris."