vb:literal>

Thread: Greenville Caching

Default Greenville Caching

Headed to Greenville for about 4 days and I loaded the GPS up with everything in the surrounding area for a good 30 minutes. I am doing Borestone for sure while there and want to attempt the Snor-Cache as only one other person has found it. What else can you recommend as "must see"?

Side note, my dad finally had an issue with this Etrex Legend and bought a PN-40. Not the road I would have gone but his money, his decision...I am bringing my laptop with a ton of caches saved in MapSource. Is there an easy way to transfer everything I have saved in MapSource over to his Delorme so he doesn't have to download everything? Its a brand new unit and he just got it Sunday night and probably hasn't learned much yet. I've never touched a Delorme unit but as with all GPSr's, I'm sure it can't be too rough. I was thinking as we are both free members, I could maybe drop all my caches from GPS to EasyGPS and then we could upload them to his unit? Again, where we are just using .loc files, maybe I could do the same thing using GSAK? Just want to make sure he has a chance to play around while we are there and learn to use the unit quickly. FYI, no internet access while there so any other recommended software I'll need to get between now and tomorrow night.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

I'm fairly new to the PN-40. If gc.com members, and having the full gpx files are important...you can load them one at a time through gc.com, or for $10 you can download Delorme's cache register program which loads your full queries.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

I hate to keep saying this, but with GSAK and the right micro you can do anything. I downloaded everything except the pictures from the cache pages for all the caches in Maine. I don't know exactly but it is less than 1 gig. I run a macro and it all goes into the Nuvi 200, the cheapest one by the way, with plenty of room left over.

I run another macro and I load 500 caches into my Garmin Venture where I'm going to be caching. You should be able to do this with any device.

The setup for all this doesn't take very long. Run 3 PQ's every day. 1 for the most recent caches and 2 others to update the older cache page info. This will keep ever thing current.

After that you have everything in the whole state and can look at a page, download it, run a macro to download a bunch or many other things that I have not gotten into yet.

The bottom line with GSAK you have everything you need in the computer without any internet connection. The macros will allow you to do great things with the info from GSAK.

No, I don't own stock in it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

the great thing about the pn40 is the paperless caching aspect...the send to gps button on cache pages gives you everything including hint and past logs...become a premium member and you can download pq's directly to the unit and skip gsak altogether if you want - very helpful...you should be able to export your files to the pn but I'm not sure how. They also have ($10) software called "cache register" that makes all of this very simple...

I use GSAK as well and keep everything up to date. As we just saw recently.....you never know when you won't be able to rely on GC.com. I know some folks are intimidated by GSAK. Don't make it any harder than you need. It's capable of much more than most users will ever realize, therefore a great investment that becomes more valuable over time.

Having said that....if you have the whole state in a database....you can make your own routes through a line or polygon filter.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

If you're going to be in the area the B-52 crash is a must see (even if you don't get the cache it's well worth the trip)

GC8950

Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

You should have no problem downloading waypoints from one GPSr into EasyGPS and back into a different GPSr.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default We love Greenville

I just finished a week in Greenville, and a hike up Borestone Mountain. For all of it's draws, Greenville is sadly lacking in caches (in my humble opinion ) That's about to change as I converted two muggles who live there last week and we've been emailing back and forth about caches.

Must do: B-52 Crash Stash. (GC8950) I cannot say more than wow. A great short hike is the Greenwood trail cache. (GCXYXZ) A short, sort of rugged hike with a great overlook of the big lake. A great, long, slightly insane hike is the Gulf Hagas trail to "Gorge"us. After hiking for almost 4 miles, my team bagged out on me and I didn't get the find. Lows Bridge (GCP2PE) is also worth the visit. Abbot, Monson and Sangerville all have a lot of area's to explore as well. Have Fun!!!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Default Greenville

I have been to the B-52 site but it was well before caching even existed in Maine to my knowledge. I was up there in 1996 and hiked Borestone Mountain the year after. Walking out on the train bridge is awesome. Talk about walking right into the scene in Stand By Me. I'll be checking out others for sure. It kind of stinks that a few of the caches don't appear to be well kept as there are several DNF's with no responses.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry