vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caching in Quebec

Arrow Caching in Quebec

This is sort of directed toward Kayaking Loon, but is open to everyone. (I'm just sort of assuming she knows) I'm staying at Cathedral Pines the first week in August. I want to save the caches in the Stratton area for the event in September and was thinking of taking the wife/kids to Quebec for a day or two of caching.

I have the travel cards, so that is not an issue. I shall display my ignorance () and let it be known that I do not speak a lick of French. I cannot even pronounce thank you correctly. In fact I have only been in Quebec once, 19 years ago when I drove through from Michigan to Vermont. (New Brunswick was my choice for Cuban Cigars and Camping ) Looking at GC.com however, it seems like there is a boatload of caches between Coburn Gore and Sherbrooke. So my question is threefold: #1 Will my lack of language skills be an obstacle? #2 Will my turn by turn Magellan work? #3 Is there a website that can translate the French speaking GC pages to English for me? (#4 do I sound like a complete fool?)

I'm kind of excited and my wife/kids are as well. Any advice?

P.S. I just got off the phone with the campground and they now have a lot of openings for the event weekend!!!
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Oui.....Merci What he said......I 2nd that request for info./experiences
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Default Up bine-bye nort!

Mon tabacknac! (That's bad if you're a true Quebecois! No star on your license, right? My stuff worked fine in Canada. And you say "Tanks for da cache! I didn't take a ting!" Now don't get the ethnic police on me, I'm 100% Franco and have made a career poking fun of myself and my relatives. Au revoir!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I don't think the language part is really too much of a problem. You will find most people in Quebec are very understanding of your english. I did some caching in Old Quebec City. I am thinking some of them were listed in English anyway. You will see that cachers in the logs respond in both English and French when they find the cache. Quebec City is loads of fun. Ride the tram down to the old city..its glass and the kids would love it. You will find it at the boardwalk area. There are many street vendors, and things happening in the old city. Ride out to the Falls area, there is a cache here but the name escapes me...not to be missed though. You can drive to the top area, or take the tram car up on the wire. You can walk across the bridge over the falls. At some times of the year there are spectacular fireworks there, but at night it is also lit in colored lights. That is just a few miles out of the city...maybe 10?? Have fun.

I have found my map...Park de la chute Montmorency is the one, on Route 40. We stayed last time at the Marriot ( courtyard) right at the gate of the old city, which is very close. The rates rise and fall, so may be high this time of year. We went during winter carnival. That is a great time to visit, but brutally cold. You need to bring all of your woolies with you:-)

I realize now that you may not even be going to that area...if not....forget the last two posts....ha

We've been caching in Quebec many times - as recently as yesterday, as a matter of fact! LOL! And I wouldn't even go as far as Sherbrooke. Cross the border at Colburn Gore, and head straight ahead to Megantic. Very nice area! Or, instead of going that way, you could go straight up Route 201, through Jackman, to St. George. Another very nice area with lots of caches.

Sometimes, not being able to understand the cache description/hint will make the difference between finding a cache and not finding one, but usually it won't. The type of cache is in English, and that is the main thing for us: What are we looking for?

If your maps cover Canada, routing will work (at least, it does on our Garmin).

And as many times as we've been to Quebec, only one time have we ever met someone who spoke NO English. Pointing and using fingers (counting) work great.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Mon tabacknac! (That's bad if you're a true Quebecois! No star on your license, right? My stuff worked fine in Canada. And you say "Tanks for da cache! I didn't take a ting!" Now don't get the ethnic police on me, I'm 100% Franco and have made a career poking fun of myself and my relatives. Au revoir!
    I know.........right !? It's a process(Proh-cess)! Eh!?
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    I realize now that you may not even be going to that area...if not....forget the last two posts....ha

I will be, but that's another trip
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Lightbulb try this....

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_txt

It works ok, but does not translate exactly as we would like it. A lot of the caches are listed in both french and english, I would stick to them. Waterski was correct. The Falls are not to be missed.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...1-d11bcc62c53a

This is the cache at the falls.

Have a good trip, you will enjoy all that Quebec has to offer.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.