vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Geocaching.com killed the Google Earth KML

Quote Originally Posted by bgrffdave View Post
    ...........I'm constantly amazed by what can be done with them but many, while neat, don't seem to offer any practical use from what I can see.
    I've found more than one for GSAK. Clusters, custom export for the Nuvi, Delorme Challenge assitance
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

You know, this is how I like to cache. Although every once in a while, I'll use a PQ. I also like to load a few from a single cacher, for example I've done this with Hollora and EMSDanel. Next on my list is Mapachi, LT and Kayaking Loon. Uh.....any advice on LT's caches

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    All of this reaches a technical level that is currently beyond me. To be honest, I don't really know what a macro is or a kml. I just sort of pick an area, pick out caches and hope for the best. I need to take a class!
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by bgrffdave View Post
    I wonder if the calculations of making the GE KML vary locations was the cause of the server load... other than that it displayed the exact same information as can be seen with the GC maps.

Nice macro by the way... are the colors indicative of cache type?
    Yes, I think Blue is events, Purple are Mystery, Red is regular, green is Multi, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    HEY Dave you seem to be making and using a lot of macros lately. Are they being published in GSAK and being used by others or are you keeping them all for yourself?.... I find macros a big help sometimes.
    I have only published one macro on the GSAK site, Copy-to_clip for copying lists of caches to the forums, IRC, or HTML for posting to Web pages. It is a simple enough macro that I was competent to be bug-free. I'm not competent enough to think my other macros are worth posting. Some may be, I know a few aren't. I think I have posted a few in these forums, and I have shared the macro to make lists of caches near locations like waterfalls with benandtina, and I may submit that once I have fully refined it.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    You know, this is how I like to cache. Although every once in a while, I'll use a PQ. I also like to load a few from a single cacher, for example I've done this with Hollora and EMSDanel. Next on my list is Mapachi, LT and Kayaking Loon. Uh.....any advice on LT's caches

Yes----- Expect to be baffled at times. Beer is helpful if you are not driving
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Talking Let's go caching......

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Yes, I think Blue is events, Purple are Mystery, Red is regular, green is Multi, and so on.
    Now that kml. is dead, grab your shoes, and your GPS and head out into the wild blue yonder and grab a few finds. With all of those macros, colored maps, and the high tech stuff, you should be able to hit at least 100 caches in a day.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    Now that kml. is dead, grab your shoes, and your GPS and head out into the wild blue yonder and grab a few finds. With all of those macros, colored maps, and the high tech stuff, you should be able to hit at least 100 caches in a day.
    If you want to stop by my house and set the 15000+ pounds of cobblestone around our patio, I'll be glad to go log 5 or 6 and credit you in my logs. Otherwise, the caching has to wait a few more days...

Too bad locationless weren't still around, someone could place a make a macro, log it as a find cache....
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I discovered that Groundspeak dropped the kml format as I was getting my cache along a path routes ready for Geowoodstock! Had to do under 500 mile paths and then stitch them together in a text editor

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    I discovered that Groundspeak dropped the kml format as I was getting my cache along a path routes ready for Geowoodstock! Had to do under 500 mile paths and then stitch them together in a text editor
    That explains it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I'm amazed how many complaints are heard from folks when referring to something that's generally offered for Free. You see it all the time w/IM or e-mail programs. And we see it w/geocaching I'm sure.

Ever done the research to see how many caches are offered to non-members. This site/forum's resources alone are greatly taxed by folks that don't help support it financially.

Google's kml queries were offered free. If someone was plotting a route using 200 waypoints, they would query Google’s servers 200x200 = 40,000 times. Like all the e-mails and forum posts on this site. It all adds up quickly and causes the need for more equipment/resources. It's not surprising that many of us GC.com members are noticing and complaining about the speed and accessibility these days. It all costs money.........from somewhere.

Even w/all the compliments and comments about all the work hide_from_the_kids did on the BK discount cards....to this day there have only been 6 purchased!! 100% of the purchase money goes to the site!? That's unheard of.......and w/20% return each use...you're return is fast and in no time you're actually Saving Money while supporting the site.

Human nature....gotta love it. We're interesting creatures......aren't we!?
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Why did you need them stitched together? Other than PQ routes can't be over 500 miles long, there is no reason you can't make longer routes.

For my long trips, I often make my entire route first using Google Maps adjusting for the caches I want to do, then when I have decided on my final route I make 500 mile sections to create the PQ with. I can load the 500+ mile route I create with Google Maps into Google Earth as well. That's where I liked the Google Earth KML; I could load my entire route and then see what caches were near that route.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!