vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stud Mill Road and Barbecue

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    I'll have my people contact your people.

At this point pencil me in.
    All right Mike!! I'm sorry your other plans didn't work out... you'll have fun w/us just the same. I look forward to seeing you there.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

I'm just starting the trip later. It will make it a long night, but after reading all the fun logs, I really can't miss this.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Nano!!!!!!
    Mike just use the coordinates for reference, you don't have to find any cache that is distasteful to you!!

Seriously, very glad you can be there!!

OK, here is the deal, I will postpone my trip out to Ohio for the Mega Event on a few conditions. I'm not going to ask for anything hard like a dish full of just red M&M's like the famous Deva's.

1.) A can of diet Moxie. I'm a diabetic and need the sugar free kind.

2.) The address or coordinates for Famous Dave's
    Diva's or Deva's . . . Diva's I've heard of . . . Deva's I'm not so sure about.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Why is everybody always picking on me?

Why is everybody always picking on me?
    Right there w/ya' ....... always been known as the guy w/a foot in his mouth Oh well..... gives others something to use...what would they do w/out us!? lol Like someone once said.... we wouldn't pick on you if we didn't like you!
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

I'm just glad my mouth isn't bigger. I would be able to get both feet in it and then I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

To heck with the date - we're going on Saturday! [/QUOTE]

We'll be there on Saturday too. Actually, we're heading over that way Friday to get in position, staying overnight at the Milford Motel. Heading out Saturday whenever I can get my husband started. Spending Saturday night in Machias at the Bluebird Motel. The Saturday night dinner at Helen's is the carrot-on-the-end-of-the-stick to get my husband to do the SMR. Hope to see some of you out there... especially if we run out of gas.....
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    To heck with the date - we're going on Saturday!
    We'll be there on Saturday too. Actually, we're heading over that way Friday to get in position, staying overnight at the Milford Motel. Heading out Saturday whenever I can get my husband started. Spending Saturday night in Machias at the Bluebird Motel. The Saturday night dinner at Helen's is the carrot-on-the-end-of-the-stick to get my husband to do the SMR. Hope to see some of you out there... especially if we run out of gas.....
    We missed you today, but followed your logs all day Our friends the Rumseys were with us and were very, very excited to find one of your pathtags. Now I think I have them convinced to create one of thier own...
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Default Stud Mill Road July 24-25

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    We missed you today, but followed your logs all day Our friends the Rumseys were with us and were very, very excited to find one of your pathtags. Now I think I have them convinced to create one of thier own...
    Yes, we were there. First I thought we were ahead of you, then we started seeing your logs and thought you were ahead of us! So how did we miss each other? It would have been nice to actually meet a cacher, although there were other people around. And glad your friends got (and liked) my pathtag. See, you can leave swag in micros! You just need to think small.

Anyway, we had a wonderful time! But we made two mistakes that meant we didn't get the Centrum. But then, I'm the one who said I wanted to wait and do the run in the fall, and I wasn't sure I cared about doing 100 in one day...

We arrived in Milford on Friday in the pouring rain and couldn't wait to get started. We went to A Run for Karen first and promptly got a DNF! Now that's a good way to destroy your confidence. But we kept going and by the time we had 26 finds we went back and got Karen's Run. But I slipped on a short muddy bank, went down hard on my back, GPS went one way, cap went the other, and I got a case of whiplash from it that lasted until Sunday. My neck was very, very stiff! But... we found the cache that time. And we went on to find 31 caches that first day, which was mistake number 1 in doing the Centrum. We should have done the loop but not the first ones on the Stud Mill Road. That in itself, wouldn't have done us in though... We got 2 DNFs too, one was I Hate Nanos (which seems to be missing according to the logs so I don't feel too bad) and Bamfield Tribute.

So that night I decide to take a last look at the run for the next day and I only have 104 caches left in my GPS. Doesn't leave too much room for DNFs. Now the way we always plan a trip is: I pick out the caches I want, load them in the GPS, give Stan the coords and he checks them out on Google Earth, assigns them numbers and plots them on the Delorme. He loves doing that and it usually works fine. He likes to drive and to pick the routes. We planned this run several weeks ago and he brought the Delorme out proudly to show me and I noticed right off that he had missed a whole run down to Route 9. So I showed him and he went back to put it on. A couple of days later he announces that he is done. I never checked it and usually there is no problem. But this Friday night I write a master list for the next day and he has a run of 4 and a run of 10 that aren't on there! But it's late, we're tired and I figure the GPS will pick them up.

We start at 7:00 AM with the Mainiac1957 Tribute and we're doing great, about 10 caches per hour. We do Crossroads Cachin and Stan says it's time to get back on the Stud Mill Road. The GPS says Fins2Right Tribute is next and not far. So we do that. Now it's time to get back to the Stud Mill Road. I look at his run of 4 and Fins2Right was the first, and he has Whyvon next. So I check Whyvon and it's 8 miles away. He says see, that's a different loop. And I believe him. Sigh. There was a whole run of 13 caches that we missed right there.

But we cached on, had a wonderful time, loved some of the places we found, want to go back and do more. We got a DNF at Al'Thor and one at Mapachi (had the wrong coords) so if you take out the DNF that was missing and the one with the wrong coords, we only had 2 "real" DNFs out of the 124 we looked for (and 120 found) in two days. We ended the day at IAMPAW with 89 caches found for Saturday. It was only 5:00 PM but we were very, very tired.... I checked then to see where we went wrong and it was 40 miles to the west so we headed for Machias, dinner and a good nights sleep.

So would I try a Centrum again? No. I'd rather take my time and see the scenery. Do I plan to go back to the Stud Mill Road? Absolutely! Was it "wilderness"? No, not with the power lines. We saw lots of turkeys and one deer. I wanted a bear.

It was a bit hot for me Saturday PM too, with the sun shining and the humidity up. But I didn't use the AC to conserve gas. And when we came out finally on Route 9 at the end of the day I asked how much gas we had left. The answer? Three-quarters of a tank! I could have had AC all day and would have felt a lot better.

Also we had been told that the caches were 2/10ths of a mile apart. Wrong. Most of them were 7/10ths or more, a few were less. And they weren't all easy, some were, some took the "normal" amount of looking and some we didn't even find.

So live and learn. And I can't thank Ekidokai enought for doing this! And thanks to the other people who already had (or put out) caches.
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows