Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Another one bites the dust.

Don't archive it!!!

That's a cache that was placed in 2001!!!!

There's not many left, and if we start archiving them, then the "cache like it's 2001 challenge" would be too easy....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

We'd being willing to adopt if it becomes a choice as well . . . both are not to far from us.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerinme View Post
    gpsfun "forced" the adoption of GC128 to me as the original owner did not reply...
    Sheesh! Unless my memory totally fails me, GPSFun asked us to adopt the "Wyman View" cache. Check your rule book again, Tom. LOL!

There is always the option if someone so chooses to repair the cache and maintain it despite the owner.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    There is always the option if someone so chooses to repair the cache and maintain it despite the owner.
    I like that if needed. When you archive an old cache and place a new one, you lose one of those bits of caching history IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    That's just what I am hoping will happen,I hate so see old caches archived.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

If a cacher chooses place a repaired cache without a formal adoption - it is an option. I know of at least one other, "old one", in the state which is being maintained in exactly this way (I won't tell which one). There are some down sides to it though.

You can't change the cache page/description/hint, etc. You are not the owner so can't ask for coords to be changed. And - you do not get the emails about the cache finds, notes, DNFs and the like - but watching it is a way around this piece.

That being said - yes, a 2001 cache is a piece of Maine Geocaching history. It would be a shame to see this archived. Placing a new one in the same place would change the date and just not be the same.

Sounds like there might be folks who are interested in fixing the cache. Now, they need to decide if their desire is to - preserve it as is, with the absentee owner - or - if they want a new publication if it can't be adopted.

Rules which were in place a while ago - when folks seem to remember "forced" adoptions or "being asked" - may have changed as time has gone on. This is a dynamic sport and things are changing. What was a while ago - may not be the case now.

Perhaps a "Found It" log - and description of a well stocked and dry cache - might put an end to the discussion of need for archiving this one. Of course, this would have to come from someone going and replacing the container. But remember - I don't think anyone but the owner can remove the Needs Maintenance Icon - Maine Publisher would know.

JMHO - I, too, hope it gets repaired and maintained by someone who just silently steps forward and makes it happen.

Default Group vote?

First, I would like to apologize for using the term "Forced Adoption". I meant it in jest, but it does sort of imply that I was willing to take over the cache by force. This is simply not the case. I just think that we as a group have a vested interest in keeping old caches active and interesting. Sorry about that turn of phrase.

I am, however, very willing to adopt, and maintain this cache. I would also suspect that the Mt. Pisgah cache will need a sponser as well.

The question is, How? Is there a method where Tat, or Groundspeak can turn it over to an active cacher? My arguement for this is as follows: The owner has not been on the site since 10/19/2005 3 and 3/4 years. He cannot be contacted, in fact all trace of him, as a geocacher, has been taken down. As such I would maintain that he has abandoned any claim to these caches. I would also guess, considering how early he joined our sport, that he would want the caches up and running. Another point is that the cache hider never actually found a cache, just hid these two. He was not active, he just came in on the first wave. Now the law is very clear, () Abandoned property does not have a "right to privacy" under the 4th admendment to the constitution and is open to anyone who wishes to take it. (before we get riled up, I'm using this for the smile factor as well ) This is why I spend all summer digging through trash bags before search warrants. Of course, this may not apply in this case, but I do think that part of it does.

I currently have a 50 cal can painted, stickered, filled and ready to go. My wife and I had planned a hike up Mt. Pisgah on Friday (no kids, yeah!!) and I would be more than happy to recover this one as well. I would also throw this out: I could just replace the cache, put myself on the watch list and we could keep it going that way.

A long post, I know. I can chat a lot. But I would love to help, and if Hide From the Kids is willing to take over Mt. Pisgah, I think that this is a good solution. I would put it out there, and ask anyone to chime in with an opinion. Thanks
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    First, I would like to apologize for using the term "Forced Adoption". I meant it in jest, but it does sort of imply that I was willing to take over the cache by force. This is simply not the case. I just think that we as a group have a vested interest in keeping old caches active and interesting. Sorry about that turn of phrase.

I am, however, very willing to adopt, and maintain this cache. I would also suspect that the Mt. Pisgah cache will need a sponser as well.

The question is, How? Is there a method where Tat, or Groundspeak can turn it over to an active cacher? My arguement for this is as follows: The owner has not been on the site since 10/19/2005 3 and 3/4 years. He cannot be contacted, in fact all trace of him, as a geocacher, has been taken down. As such I would maintain that he has abandoned any claim to these caches. I would also guess, considering how early he joined our sport, that he would want the caches up and running. Another point is that the cache hider never actually found a cache, just hid these two. He was not active, he just came in on the first wave. Now the law is very clear, () Abandoned property does not have a "right to privacy" under the 4th admendment to the constitution and is open to anyone who wishes to take it. (before we get riled up, I'm using this for the smile factor as well ) This is why I spend all summer digging through trash bags before search warrants. Of course, this may not apply in this case, but I do think that part of it does.

I currently have a 50 cal can painted, stickered, filled and ready to go. My wife and I had planned a hike up Mt. Pisgah on Friday (no kids, yeah!!) and I would be more than happy to recover this one as well. I would also throw this out: I could just replace the cache, put myself on the watch list and we could keep it going that way.

A long post, I know. I can chat a lot. But I would love to help, and if Hide From the Kids is willing to take over Mt. Pisgah, I think that this is a good solution. I would put it out there, and ask anyone to chime in with an opinion. Thanks
    You chat - look at my post! Lacking time for - Maine Publisher to respond - I do suspect some rules about old caches, uninterested or involved players and adoptions may have changed over time. Again - JMHO

As for the Mt. cache - another seemingly in jeapordy. Clearly! So maybe you and HFTK need to do some PMs and get together to develop a strategy and plan for both of these. Just a thought!

Any - thanks for all you are both doing for this community! It's appreciated!

Lightbulb Hmmmmm.....

Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.