vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Miles to Maine: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail

I'm looking forward to your journal Rick.What are you taking for a camera?Or are you?When I did the 100 miler I took a Canon AE -1 and two lens.That added a lot of weight,but it was worth it for me.Today's camera's are super,but batteries are a pain in the neck.Just curious.--Don "number seven"

I am taking a small digital. I did a lot of research trying to decide on what I thought would be the best and lightest. I ended up getting a Cannon SD880 IS. So far I have four 8 Gig memory cards for it. I will probably get a few more.
    Blazing Troll

What about batteries? I see it doesn't take AA's.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

It has a rechargeable. I have had the camera for over four months now and I have only had to recharge it twice. In that time I have taken 984 photos and 11 movies with it.

I am undecided as to whether or not I am going to get an extra battery to carry with me. It will add more weight to pack and I will be hitting a town ever week or two where I can recharge it if I need to.

I just ordered a solar recharger kit. It weighs less then and ounce. I am going to try it out on a four day shake down hike that I am doing in two weeks. If it works then I will bring it along. If not that it will stay home and collect dust. I want to try to keep my pack weight to around 30 pounds or less, fully loaded.
    Blazing Troll

This is sooooooo exciting!!!! I can't wait to read your journal!
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

I have two journals on the internet right now. They are both on different sites. I am not sure which one I am going to use yet. I will post the two different ones later on and you people can help me decide on which one you like the best. I am fine tuning the one that I am leaning towards and that is why I am not ready to post the link yet.

It is so hard to get everything organized now with so much to do and so little time. I have to juggle working 12 hour shifts right now. I also am trying to get all the household stuff lined up while I am gone for seven months, get the bills all arranged, get the cars all set, answer emails, try to find another administrator for each of my web sites, renew my driver license, update all the web site software on each site, get someone to manage the server, get three cords of wood and stack it, hike as much as I can to get in shape, try to attend some geocaching events, ect. The list goes on and on but I think you get my point. Seven months is going to be here before I know it and I know I will not have everything done.
    Blazing Troll

Sounds like time to have a wood cutting and stacking event at your house Rick,I know if I was around there I would give you a hand. I admire your spunk and wish I had the gonads to attempt that trip. I had a good friend of mine quite a few years ago do the trip and he did it in just 5 months. He was in good shape when he got done....

There is a lady from Maine that in going to finish this Thursday at Katahdin that is 65 years old and she did it in four months.
    Blazing Troll

Maybe when I retire I'll give it a shot. Right now just getting employment is on my agenda. Wonder if that is a record for age and time completing it? Are there any statistics for this sort of thing regarding the completion of the full AT?

Ok, just did some research and answered my own question here.http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site...Statistics.htm