vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help please. Maine Delorme challenge

Question Premium member

Quote Originally Posted by mouse179 View Post
    how and what is book marking on the cache page.

and I have a garmin etrek legend, will this work with mapsource? and if so where do you get mapsource, I have google earth not sure if that will help or not. I pretty new to this I just managed to start very simple paperless caching.

thanks for the overwehlming help and suport.
    Are you a Premium member with geocaching.com?

You can create multiple bookmark lists, like "My favorite caches" or "Caches I want to find," that can be shared with others or kept private for your own use. You are also able to generate and add listings to a personal ignore list, for those caches you never plan to find but show up in your search results.

You can add the caches you have found to the list and I can use it to verify your finds. Mapsource is Garmin's mapping software, not sure which models it will work with.

http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/m...eTutorial.html

hope this helps.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

(shameless plug inserted here) If you can come to the event in Augusta on Saturday, I'm sure someone can walk you through it.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

I have, essentially, done the same except directly on the Gazeteer. I think at this level, given that one does not go out on a Saturday and do the "Delorme", manually is fine. I can see where if a cache is close to the border of the grid it could be difficult to determine which grid it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    I used and marked the actual DeLorme Gazeteer and photocopied the back cover, crossing off maps as I went.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Currently I keep my bookmarks private. I've started the Delorme Challenge, so the question is should I make my Delorme Challenge bookmark public for you to see? I'm not really concerned about being grandfathered however I would not be a happy cacher if I discovered I had done something wrong along the way that would prevent accomplishing the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    As a reminder to add your bookmark on the cache page, as this will grandfather you in the number of maps that you will have to find. This past year I opened up a map in Northern Maine. And I will probably do the same to another "easy" to find map in Western Maine next year.

We have a book of scenic drives in Maine. To start, I looked through each drive and figured out which maps I would cover during the drive. I plotted the routes that covered the most maps and then use the "Caches along a route" feature to find potential caches along the way.

We like doing loops that will take us through one set of maps as we drive away from home and then through another set as we return. We try to plan two caches for each map: one that is either difficult or requires a long walk and another that is quick. We try our best to get both but if for some reason the longer one doesn't work out (DNF, running out of daylight, etc.) we can fall back on the quick cache.

To keep track of what we have completed we just keep the atlas in the car and highlight the squares on the map that is at the beginning of the book.

We aren't super hardcore about getting as many maps as possible, so we try to tie the maps in to things. For example, we had never gone to Red's Eats and wanted to a few weeks ago, so we planned to cover that map and the maps along the way. Or, we had a Geocoin that wanted to go to Canada so we picked a scenic route from our book that would get us there (we took Route 6 to Vanceboro, then crossed in to NB, very pretty!) and did the maps along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Currently I keep my bookmarks private. I've started the Delorme Challenge, so the question is should I make my Delorme Challenge bookmark public for you to see? I'm not really concerned about being grandfathered however I would not be a happy cacher if I discovered I had done something wrong along the way that would prevent accomplishing the goal.
    You should allow Team2hunt to see this bookmark . . . first off it will grandfather you . . . which would be important if you have done or did the long trip up north or to the remote northwestern regions . . . and thought you had locked up all the grids there only to discover later on, right before you're ready to log the final that another grid was opened . . . requiring another very long ride to the middle of nowhere for that final cache . . . trust me, Hiram and I were devastated when we thought we would have to go way, way up north to the middle of nowhere for one grid . . . fortunately we were grandfathered.

The other possible bonus is that there is a chance someone seeing your bookmark may be able to alert you if a cache you have listed is listed incorrectly if you're doing this manually . . . ie. you may think a cache right on the border of a grid is in one grid, when in fact it may be in the adjoining grid.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by benandtina View Post
    . . .We aren't super hardcore about getting as many maps as possible, so we try to tie the maps in to things. For example, we had never gone to Red's Eats and wanted to a few weeks ago, so we planned to cover that map and the maps along the way. Or, we had a Geocoin that wanted to go to Canada so we picked a scenic route from our book that would get us there (we took Route 6 to Vanceboro, then crossed in to NB, very pretty!) and did the maps along the way.
    I wasn't even thinking about doing the DeLorme Challenge until my good buddy and partner in crime and comedy informed me that I had probably completed a good number of grids without being aware of this fact . . . when he plugged in the info for me I found out I had only a few grids left which was a good impetus for both of us to get out and make those trips to the extreme north, south, east and west . . . and together we had some great times finishing up the DeLorme together.

However, like you, I didn't set out to do the DeLorme . . . it just kind of happened naturally as I went from place to place as my caching adventures took me hither and thither . . . or maybe it was over hill and dale . . . or maybe it was to Chip N' Dales . . . I forget.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Good point, one that comes to mind is your Sound of Music cache.....just over the line for map 22.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    you may think a cache right on the border of a grid is in one grid, when in fact it may be in the adjoining grid.

Cool along the way

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Sharing your bookmark will allow you to check your progress with me....if that is important to you. But it is not necessary.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

It's shared now.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    Sharing your bookmark will allow you to check your progress with me....if that is important to you. But it is not necessary.