vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Nuvi

Hybrid View

Default Garmin Nuvi

I was thinking of purchasing one of these units, mostly so that I can navigate myself better from cache to cache. The only GPSr that I have right now is my trusty Garmin Venture (the yellow one) without the maps and I have a bad habit of driving by caches because I'm focused on finding the one that I have my mind set on finding.

I've looked at some of the specs of the Nuvis and I find them somewhat confusing. I'm thinking of the 700 series, but there's so many models I have a hard time deciding what's best.

Any hints?
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

well, not sure which model is best...but I always like the "free" ones...I think Key Bank has a promotion right now if you open an account...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamHorwich View Post
    well, not sure which model is best...but I always like the "free" ones...I think Key Bank has a promotion right now if you open an account...
    the deal is running till mid sept. 3 direct deposits and one valid purchase using your debit card. i did it and got nuvi 205w and it works great. i also have a nuvi 200 and that works great. i know several people that use the nuvi and they all have different models and i have not heard any complaints.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

Exclamation I still like the Tom Tom better

I have had my TT since last November and I must say it does a fantastic job (most of the time) of getting me from cache to cache. Using a GSAK export, it loads all the caches you want into it. It works for me and that's what I know. Anyone wishing to see it can catch up with me at an upcoming event, and I'd be glad to show it off.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I have had my TT since last November and I must say it does a fantastic job (most of the time) of getting me from cache to cache. Using a GSAK export, it loads all the caches you want into it. It works for me and that's what I know. Anyone wishing to see it can catch up with me at an upcoming event, and I'd be glad to show it off.
    Sheesh! Why didn't you post this message at this time YESTERDAY! LOL!

I'm agreeing with brad on this one, i've played with the nuvis, and I own a tomtom one. I love it. it's so much easier too use, very simple, and great maps. I use mine for caching all the time, just load a POI file and go.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

We have the Nuvi 255W and find it great for caching, or at least navigating to caches. In theory, you can put more than a quarter million caches in a POI file on a 2 GB card. I find it easy to search for nearby caches and to route to them.

So what makes the Tom Tom any better? are the maps that much better? Are the upgrades free? Having never used a TomTom I don't know but it seems they may be comparable unless I am missing something.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

A quarter million caches on a 2 GB card. I think that'd be more than sufficient.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    We have the Nuvi 255W and find it great for caching, or at least navigating to caches. In theory, you can put more than a quarter million caches in a POI file on a 2 GB card. I find it easy to search for nearby caches and to route to them.

I just purchased the Garmin 255W myself and find it easy to use and customize. I can run waypoints and points of interests together. (The waypoints are always on screen and the POI's alert when I get within a certain distance.) Once I started playing with the programming a little I found that I can transfer routes to the NUVI as "tracks". Little bit unorthodox but I can create routes in Mapsource then go "backwards" with it to the NUVI. The 255w doesn't "route" but it accepts the tracks. and that track is highlighted in purple.

Anyways, I'm not familiar with the TomTom but I do know that if you can wait a few days to get the GPSr you may want to check out discount computer dealers for refurbs and sell-outs. I paid $122.00 including delivery for my recent purchase.

Cache On!!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Don't forget to check Sam's Club. I got a Nuvi there for $170 cheaper than Best Buy.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!