vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SuitedPairs Stud Mill Misadventure

Wink Let me guess

You're going to have a leaky roof I suppose.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    You're going to have a leaky roof I suppose.
    i agree, but you can do both if your frugal. for under $5 you can get a tube of tar and that should hold it for another two years.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

I have had two bad experiences with AAA.

The first was in NH. We went into a restaurant and had dinner. At closing we came out and she had left the lights on. No problem right? Call AAA. Wrong. After several calls and waiting 3 hours then being told that they could not find anyone to help us, we were on our own. I had to find help myself. I walked up this hill to the road and there was a gas station right across the street. Guess what? they were AAA. I was totally mad.

The second was out on 95 about 35 miles from Orono. I called and again several hours later they said they could not help. I got a ride to the nearest station and guess what again? They were AAA.

So as far as I'm concerned they suck and I'll never give them another cent.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Stud Mill Road, and more so the Golden Road, you should make sure your original spare works plus have another spare in the back. Maybe more - ask Tat!

Make sure you have insurance for windshield glass if you are going on days the logging trucks are passing through, too!
    Great advice! Learned long ago that multi-ply sidewalls are necessary if you want to avoid flats off-road up North.

I also found a great product that keeps those spares available. PB Blaster catalyst for breaking down rust and keeping things free. http://blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=4
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

AAA is a not-for-profit organization. Towing companies who tow for AAA make much less profit on a given job than they would for cash, much like doctors who take Medicaid perform their services for less for those patients. IIRC, they only make a set price as well, meaning they would make the same profit to fix a tire on a car one mile from their station as they would 25 miles down the Stud Mill Road. On top of that, some towing company drivers make a percentage of the actual tow bill when they are working on call as their only profit.

All these factors contribute to lower quality service by AAA itself, it's participating stations, as well as the drivers themselves.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-11-2009 at 06:19 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

The North Maine Woods recommends driving 25mph or less to save on flats.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Default Good to know

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    AAA is a not-for-profit organization. Towing companies who tow for AAA make much less profit on a given job than they would for cash, much like doctors who take Medicaid perform their services for less for those patients. IIRC, they only make a set price as well, meaning they would make the same profit to fix a tire on a car one mile from their station as they would 25 miles down the Stud Mill Road. On top of that, some towing company drivers make a percentage of the actual tow bill when they are working on call as their only profit.

All these factors contribute to lower quality service by AAA itself, it's participating stations, as well as the drivers themselves.
    My Frustration with them and hatred comes from paying for a service for years and listening to all the adds and hype then when I'm stuck they can not or will not help at all.

I was 1/2 mile from a AAA station when AAA said they could not find one in my area that could give me a jump start. When I asked the station they said they had not been called and even gave me the jump for free. They got a big tip from me.

The second time I was stuck again and they almost seemed to refuse to help me. I will tell everyone that they are useless as far as I'm concerned every time I hear AAA.

I get roadside service through my insurance company at no extra charge. I have used them twice so far and they are more than helpful at any hour.

Did I mention I don't think much of AAA?

Guess I've been fortunate . . . the few times I've needed assistance AAA responded relatively quickly.

Inadvertently left my lights on in the 4Runner in Waterville at a parking lot . . . they came out and gave me a boost and I was on my way within 45 minutes or so.

The other time I locked my keys in my car (and didn't have my second set of keys on me) at work . . . again, showed up within an hour.

Not exactly wicked speedy, but I figured in both cases it was my own stupidity that got me there so I deserved to pay a little penance.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

You see, the thing is, you were not in desperate need. If you were truly stranded you'd be out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Guess I've been fortunate . . . the few times I've needed assistance AAA responded relatively quickly.

Inadvertently left my lights on in the 4Runner in Waterville at a parking lot . . . they came out and gave me a boost and I was on my way within 45 minutes or so.

The other time I locked my keys in my car (and didn't have my second set of keys on me) at work . . . again, showed up within an hour.

Not exactly wicked speedy, but I figured in both cases it was my own stupidity that got me there so I deserved to pay a little penance.
    Don't forget about the time you broke down in the Benton Triangle of Doom!!!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.