vb:literal>

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 maine geocoin design

a ten year anniversery coin i like that
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

Default Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    2011 will be the 10 year mark for caching in Maine, with the Fort Williams cache being the first. Perhaps a design that incorporates graphics that honor the first cache as well as something that signifies Maine and Geocachingmaine.org.
    Really like that idea!
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I like the anniversary idea, and I have an idea to expand on that. But I'm going to have to do some research first.

I like the state outline idea too. I think the argument against that was the back side looks like ... well, like the underside of Maine. We'll have a little better idea how much of an issue of this is when we have the 2009 coins and see the back of them.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I think the anniversary idea is cool but we already have the Portland Headlight on a coin so maybe something on a different take for the state. We have other places in the state besides the coast that typifies our state.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I agree with Haffy on this one.
    Blazing Troll

i agree also about the coast thing. maybe some stats like how many caches then and how many now.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

I'm there with you, Rick and Jaime. My view is to honor the 10 year mark and Maine geocaching, certainly not a given cache. With that in mind, there can be many options....from the western mountains of Maine to the coast to Mt Katahdin to inland waters.....I think you get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I think the anniversary idea is cool but we already have the Portland Headlight on a coin so maybe something on a different take for the state. We have other places in the state besides the coast that typifies our state.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Default Ft Williams

Ft Williams was featured on the 2005 Maine coin. Take a look for yourselves.
    Happy Trails!

So my idea on the continuation of the anniversary idea was to have a cache placed as a commemorative cache. This might be placed as the first cache of 2011 (Or the first cache of 1/2/11, which is really 10 years after Maine's first cache was placed) by a chosen individual or placed by this site's account. This cache could then be featured on the coin. I like this idea less after pondering it for a day, mostly because it might not be right to honor a cache which has not stood the test of time.

Either way, it is an idea to ponder nonetheless.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I like the idea of a commemorative cache, however I think it can be problematic in a variety of ways. Earlier comments regarding Ft Williams or the light on the coin are valid and spot on. I think my idea was more of a "theme" for the 2011 coin.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    So my idea on the continuation of the anniversary idea was to have a cache placed as a commemorative cache. This might be placed as the first cache of 2011 (Or the first cache of 1/2/11, which is really 10 years after Maine's first cache was placed) by a chosen individual or placed by this site's account. This cache could then be featured on the coin. I like this idea less after pondering it for a day, mostly because it might not be right to honor a cache which has not stood the test of time.

Either way, it is an idea to ponder nonetheless.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.