vb:literal>

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 maine geocoin design

Here is what we have had suggested so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    most of the images plus a few more along with mention of the creator can be found in the photo gallery in the maine geocoin inputs

these are the ones in the link i posted in the previous thread.

Not sure whose this is?

dr. Who (rick made a mockup of this with a heart shape, snopwshoes on one side; lobster on the other.

bassoon (only visited this site the day he joined, gc.com account has been closed)

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post

i did these. If anyone wants to put them in for 2011 then you have my permission.

this was put together by me from dr. Who's design. The coin would be heart shaped.

bassoon as brdad mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by haffy View Post
    i think a great idea for the next coin would be one in the shape of maine.
    Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    2011 will be the 10 year mark for caching in maine and something that signifies maine and geocachingmaine.org.
    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    winter scenes have been mentioned, the 10th anniversary is jan 2nd, perhaps a snowflake shape?
    in keeping with the anniversary theme, it doesn't necessarily have to be a specific area. Let's say, something like a coin in the shape of maine. On the back is a pine tree with a chickadee (state tree and state bird) and on the front a silhouette of a cacher/hiker and wording honoring the 10 year mark of caching in maine.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    i liked the design with the cabin, the snow and the snowshoes. Or at least i think that's what was on it. One state, colorado maybe? Has some great designs. I'd like to see something "scenic".
    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    here is another idea.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    any thought to doing a "coin" with something maine based on the big piece - perhaps the anniversary......and a medallion hanging down from it on jump rings like the tsunrisebey 2009 earth turtle coins.

Lot of potential there - hang a lobster, hang snowshoes, hang a jeep, or a little piece with a mountain and a beach at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by benandtina View Post
    hi

i have an idea and i am attaching an image to show what i was thinking, but the image is very rough. I only spent about 30 minutes on it... I just want a way to show what i am thinking. It may end up being too busy for a small coin, so i don't know if it would even work out.

Basically, my idea is that we poll members of the board to suggest items (caching related or maine related) that come to mind when they think of their geocaching in maine experiences. Then we include all of those items, or the top however many repeated items, inside the image of a map of maine.

For my example, i included a lobster trap, lighthouse, snow covered mountains, tent, ammo boxes, pine trees, moose and lobster.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by opalsns View Post
    much better way to do it!!!!!!!!!

If i may suggest...

No black or "gun metal'
    maine is a beautiful state chock full of color. Making the state so dark, is morbid to me.
    What about a coin shaped like a lighthouse , the top area could have the windows removed if there is a need to attach it to something. Or a pine cone that's hinged like lt cache.or how about a coin size # 10 and pics that represent maine could be put on the numbers and on the back ...
    Maine
    celebrating
    10 years
    of
    geocaching
    if you have any suggestions about any of the ideas let us know or if you have an idea of youron let us know.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

Thanks for the reminder Jaime.....I tried to copy Bassoon's image here but couldn't....anyway I'm not too keen on it. The image of Maine is obviously Delorme so there is a copyright issue as well as vertical copy which is hard to read. Mosquitoes? Doesn't do it for me.

The snowshoes are unique, a nice feature. I saw the coin Hollora was mentioning, it's really different. I like the simplicity of Rick's moose and the wording, which says it all. At the risk of sounding egotistical, I keep coming back to the anniversary idea: in keeping with the anniversary theme, it doesn't necessarily have to be a specific area. Let's say, something like a coin in the shape of maine. On the back is a pine tree with a chickadee (state tree and state bird) and on the front a silhouette of a cacher/hiker and wording honoring the 10 year mark of caching in maine.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Let's say, something like a coin in the shape of maine. On the back is a pine tree with a chickadee (state tree and state bird) and on the front a silhouette of a cacher/hiker and wording honoring the 10 year mark of caching in maine.[/I]
    I like this! I also like the snowshoe idea, but the lobster on the back spoils it. And the mosquito looks stupid. Nearly every state has mosquitoes - why would it be on a Maine geocoin?

Is there anyone in the forums that could sketch this out?

Let's say, something like a coin in the shape of maine. On the back is a pine tree with a chickadee (state tree and state bird) and on the front a silhouette of a cacher/hiker and wording honoring the 10 year mark of caching in maine.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I like pm28570's idea, Of the state bird and pine cone and tassles, but we had a State Shape already so maybe a different shape or just oval or something.
    I think the Sillouette of a cacher has been over used on coins.

How about ...

The First Decade, On to the Next!

The Pine Tree Cache State with a hand reaching up for a cache or under a root pile.

Quote Originally Posted by opalsns View Post
    i like pm28570's idea, of the state bird and pine cone and tassles, but we had a state shape already so maybe a different shape or just oval or something.
    I think the sillouette of a cacher has been over used on coins.

How about ...

The first decade, on to the next!

The pine tree cache state with a hand reaching up for a cache or under a root pile.
    maybe you can help paul and draw this up. Like me some people just don't know how to make their computers do some things. Anyone who wants to help can.

we know there are a few people who are working on an design so chime in and let us know. we will be taking input and designs until jan 10,2010. so yes there is time.

I would like to see the the State of Maine Seal on a coin. The last time it was tried there was a huge falling out between some geocachers and the Maine Tourist Bureau (who gives permission to use the Maine Seal on behalf of the Governor). We should be mature enough to get past that.
    It would show that The State supports Geocaching and vice versa.
    The Adventure
    Continues . . . .

- Zoltarus

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltarus View Post
    I would like to see the the State of Maine Seal on a coin. The last time it was tried there was a huge falling out between some geocachers and the Maine Tourist Bureau (who gives permission to use the Maine Seal on behalf of the Governor). We should be mature enough to get past that.
    It would show that The State supports Geocaching and vice versa.

I like this idea.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

First, let me volunteer some time to this. I'm a graphic designer with reasonable photoshop and illustrator skills. I don't want to spend hours rendering tons of ideas but once the discussion has been boiled down to a few leaders, I can help refine them. Since these the submissions should continue to next year, I'll be available in January to start.

I like the 10th anniversary idea. While I suspect many areas of the country/world will be reaching the same milestone around the same time (or maybe I'm wrong - are we a leader in something?!), it's still something to celebrate. Its definitely important to us!

Thinking about other coins that I really like and about graphic/visual design in general - it's probably best to focus on one idea or 'thing'. I would prefer a snowshoe coin or a lighthouse coin over one that's the state covered in 15 different things.

Back to the anniversary, I also like the idea of a cache placement. Doing it on the 10th anniversary to the day sounds right (1/2/2011 I believe I saw posted). I'm not fully versed on the rules but could we tie the coin to the cache somehow? Like a puzzle? I would expect the cache to be available to anyone but maybe those with the coin would have something extra to find nearby. Perhaps partial coords on the coin, the other part in the cache. Or use the coin to solve/decode a puzzle on the cache. Besides being fun, it might add to the interest in purchasing the coin.