Is anyone here an expert on Maine wildlife (the woods kind, not the beer and pizza kind). I've been hearing this animal at night for maybe four years now but only two or three times a year. The first time was just before dawn and I thought it was an animal that had been badly injured. It makes a very loud and scary sound. Last night it passed by around 10:30. I could hear it in the distance coming down the woods road out back. Then it crossed into the woods near our house and I could follow it's progress by the howls. It seems to howl loudly with every breath. Takes a deep breath, lets it all out with a hiss-like sound at the end, another breath, another howl, step by step. I could tell when it crossed the end of our property and a bit after that it fell silent (probably going to get a Canada goose for dinner). This morning I went out and found the tracks for the first time, got a digital photo. The first track was 5" long but that may have been a bit large because it came down off a bank and landed hard. The second track was 4" from heel to end of claws. It looks like it may have 5 claws. It sounds really nasty. I've heard bobcats (they scream), even had one of those dying on my porch this winter. And I know the sound raccoons make when they're fighting, and coyotes howling. But this is different from anything I've ever heard. And I'd love to know what it is. I'm currently trying to find a tape recorder so I can tape it the next time it goes by, which will probably be months from now. Any ideas? I've asked everyone around here and they don't know...