vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maine Animals

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Ahhh, it's good to be back in Maine. Plus our caches do not have cockroaches in them.
    i wonder if its one of those giant hissing cockroaches thats making the sound.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Cuddeback makes probably one of the best game cameras.

http://www.cuddeback.com/
    Have you had an experience with these Haffy?
    Blazing Troll

Only from watching the Outdoor Channel....lol
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Wrong Animal

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Or wolfs bane.
    But... it's not a werewolf!!
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

My parents have fishers around their house. They lose at least one cat bi-annually and have seen several around their property. Oddly enough, they keep replacing the cats to keep the red squirrel and chipmonk population limited.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    My parents have fishers around their house. They lose at least one cat bi-annually and have seen several around their property. Oddly enough, they keep replacing the cats to keep the red squirrel and chipmonk population limited.

We have no cats anymore and it's nice being pet-free after all these years. I have noticed the red squirrel population is way down and I'm happy about that. One year we live-trapped 16 of them and moved them far, far away. But we love chipmunks! They don't get into houses (they live in burrows in the ground), they are cute and friendly and will eat right out of your hand. My daughter had them all named one year and they actually all have different personalities. Just like having a bunch of very small people running around on the porch. Speaking of which, one is at the door now, begging for sunflower seeds so I have to go.....
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Oddly enough that was also the same night FFJ dropped a 6pack of Guinness off at my house...
    . . . but apparently someone thought it was poisoned and dumped it all down the drain.

Remind me again how I got dragged into this one?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    We have no cats anymore and it's nice being pet-free after all these years. I have noticed the red squirrel population is way down and I'm happy about that. One year we live-trapped 16 of them and moved them far, far away. But we love chipmunks! They don't get into houses (they live in burrows in the ground), they are cute and friendly and will eat right out of your hand. My daughter had them all named one year and they actually all have different personalities. Just like having a bunch of very small people running around on the porch. Speaking of which, one is at the door now, begging for sunflower seeds so I have to go.....
    I agree . . . I love chipmunks. Unfortunately, my cat Theodore Roosevelt likes chipmunks even more than I do.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    What I don't like are gray squirrels . . . had some issues with some a few years back getting into my attic and even the upstairs bathroom. I've since fixed the problem although they now try to eat all of the seed in my birdfeeder . . . . I mean catfeeder . . . although this year the population does seem to be down somewhat.

I think it must be a natural downturn in population since the only cat that has a "thing" for the gray squirrels is Miss Lucky and she weighs less than the squirrels -- she thinks she is panther though and will actually chase them even if they do outweigh her.

I'm not a big fan of the fisher (although I realize that every animal has its place just like people -- although the word is still out on Hiram ) . . . I had a cat many years ago -- Patches -- that was mauled by a fisher. She survived, but I'll never forget how she was tore open -- intestines exposed. Lucky to survive, but she was never the same after that experience as it traumatized her . . . you would pet her and she would just glower at you and purr and then hiss at the same time . . . spent most of the rest of her life just glowering at us from the top of the steps or behind the hallway french door.