vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Poison Ivy, Oak, Sumac - Whatever

I'm thinking if you drank enough beer you might not care how bad the poison ivy itches.

On a serious note . . . rubbing alcohol . . . hydrocortisone cream . . . the old stand-by calamine lotion.

I am intrigued with the jewelweek as mentioned by Squirrel Cache . . . would love to learn more.

As for me, never really had any issues with poison ivy . . . although there is a rash of something on my leg . . . my wife gets nervous every time I get near here since she's wicked allergic to poison ivy, oak, etc.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I'm allergic to beer. My immune system would likely go nuts if I tried this, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    ..... I am intrigued with the jewelweek as mentioned by Squirrel Cache . . . would love to learn more.

As for me, never really had any issues with poison ivy . . . although there is a rash of something on my leg . . . my wife gets nervous every time I get near here since she's wicked allergic to poison ivy, oak, etc.
    Jewelweed is used a couple ways successfully by folks. One is to use the plant fresh on the suspected affected site before you break out. It's quite juicy in the stalk, and doesn't hurt to use the leaves as well. Some folks also process the plants and freeze the juice in cubes for future use.

You can't catch it from someone else unless for some reason they rub against you and transfer the oil. Put some vegetable oil on your skin and see how long it takes to be absorbed. I know......for years while infected...I crawled into bed next to someone who also is deathly afraid and allergic. I just didn't tell that I'd gotten into the stuff Mind over matters works both ways much of the time.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

I have tried the Jewelweed. It does well as all the other stuff for stopping the itch for a while, but if you want to kill the poison whatever pour cold beer on it and it will kill it and the last time I used it the next day it had scabbed over when the normal cycle is about two weeks.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    I have tried the Jewelweed. It does well as all the other stuff for stopping the itch for a while, but if you want to kill the poison whatever pour cold beer on it and it will kill it and the last time I used it the next day it had scabbed over when the normal cycle is about two weeks.
    You seem really fired up about using beer . . . you don't own stock in Coors or Budweiser do you Mike?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Just pour the damn beer on it and kill it!
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

lol....... I was wondering how long it would take some beer lover to speak up!
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

LOL It didn't take long. I made the reference to alcohol abuse back on the first page LOL Someone has to stick up for the beer.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Well, now aliens are involved. Have to be. It's the only thing I can think of that would prevent Hiram from hijacking this thread especially if beer is mentioned. I can only presume that he has been abducted.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Well, now aliens are involved. Have to be. It's the only thing I can think of that would prevent Hiram from hijacking this thread especially if beer is mentioned. I can only presume that he has been abducted.
    You know, I was wondering about that. The only thing I can think of is that he read that you are supposed to pour it on your skin. He knew this wasn't a thread for him and hasn't been back.