vb:literal>

Thread: looking for some advice on a new challange cache

Default looking for some advice on a new challange cache

Let me preface this by saying that my son was given a new kayak for his birthday and suddenly our use of the kayaks had taken off. We did the Saco river in N.H. plus we did some of Kayaking Loons island caches on Flagstaff lake. Today I kayaked to two new caches on McGrath pond in Oakland and got a FTF on one.

Now that I have rediscovered my kayak I decided to go onto GC.com and run a PQ with the boat icon and discovered about 300 kayak ready caches in the state.

On my flight home from Dallas last night I thought about the Alphanumeric challange and the Centrum challange and thought that it might be kind of fun to create a kayak, or island challange. Actually while kayaking tonight I thought about it more. In fact, I'm strongly considering purchasing some pathtags to send to cachers who complete the challange.

I've come up with a design for the pathtag and will probably send the order out soon.

Any thoughts, advice or points? Basically I was thinking of making it retroactive, allowing any type of boat, and if people are brave enough to walk across ice (I did this last winter and had a blast) I think that the effort is good. I was thinking of making it either a 25 or 50 cache challange.

Tell me what you think.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

I think that if it gets more cachers to do these types of caches than it would be a good idea! I just bought a canoe and I have done one cache with it so far and I am looking forward to doing others.
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Sounds good to me. I'm going to try my hand at it myself.

I bought an inflatable kayak last fall and tomorrow after the event I'm going to try and make it out to the two island caches on Pushaw lake.

Wish me luck. I'm going to need it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I Love the idea. I mentioned this earlier in another thread. I'd like to promote boating caches, they don't seem to be very popular. I'd like to see something like a half dozen or so boating cachers put out 20 caches each. Then it would be easier to maintain the trail, and each could participate in the challenge.

Just think about how awesome it would be to achieve 100 caches in a day on the Kennebec river!! We have people talking/travelling to Maine to do the SMR. A Real challenge would be doing it on the water! :P Now That would get the geocaching world noticing Maine!!

We could archive it every Winter...maintain it in the Spring-Fall. If you've never paddled the outgoing tidal flow....or seen the River from Waterville- Richmond, you're missing out on a great piece of our State's paddling.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

I am allways big on that idea as well, I love to get boating caches.

Ok, I've moved this section of my post to a new thread to keep this one clean. Think about it before you trash me.

Now, regarding a challenge cache promoting hydro caches - yes, I think that's a great idea. A given number in each county, or each Delorme map (The Delorme Hydro Challenge - find a hydro cache on each Delorme map!!), one in each waterway or pond/lake), the possibilities are endless.

We could archive it every Winter...maintain it in the Spring-Fall. If you've never paddled the outgoing tidal flow....or seen the River from Waterville- Richmond, you're missing out on a great piece of our State's paddling.
    I don't think this would work because of gc.com's permanence rules. But, here is no harm leaving it active and allowing anyone determined enough to find the cache in winter to hike across the ice or snowmobile (Or possibly land access in the case of river caches) to the caches. Another option is to disable it, but people might still try it anyway knowing it still exists.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Ok, I've moved this section of my post to a new thread to keep this one clean. Think about it before you trash me.

Now, regarding a challenge cache promoting hydro caches - yes, I think that's a great idea. A given number in each county, or each Delorme map (The Delorme Hydro Challenge - find a hydro cache on each Delorme map!!), one in each waterway or pond/lake), the possibilities are endless.

I don't think this would work because of gc.com's permanence rules. But, here is no harm leaving it active and allowing anyone determined enough to find the cache in winter to hike across the ice or snowmobile (Or possibly land access in the case of river caches) to the caches. Another option is to disable it, but people might still try it anyway knowing it still exists.

No trashing, just looking for input. That's why I was thinking that ice walking/snowmobiling ect should be allowed. That way it could be an all year thing.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    ....... Another option is to disable it, but people might still try it anyway knowing it still exists.
    Yes that's what I was thinking. I was also thinking the Kennebec because I feel a boating cache's intentions should be preserved, like on an Island in the ocean. The Kennebec is very unpredictible in the Winter to machine travel....let alone walking. Within recent years we lost a lifelong river visitor who was skating down in the Bowdoinham area. And a couple years ago a local business owner lost his Nearly new snowmobile in Gardiner. So I like the idea of disabling a water cache for the Winter. That would put my conscience at ease, should some dern fool get in serious trouble. Your Life is Not Worth claiming another cache!!!!

One C.O. put out snowmobile caches last year...and found people doing Crazy things to get at them while on foot. Mine will probably be a Great distance from civilization to prevent such. That way when you claim you got a boat/snowmobile/atv cache......you truly earned it the way it was intended, nothing against rebelliously determined people. Oh and to those of you that feel snowmobile trails are Public property.... that's not true!!! There are trails in the State of Maine that get No State aid, and are on Private Property...and stated as such. Like the boating caches.... there's a designated parking area that often should be used to maintain the integrity of the cache and land owner relations.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Did you find my bookmark list - it may not be all inclusive but I started this a while ago......and I think the off coast Maine islands are on it.

I saw that you were thinking 25 to 50 caches. I was wondering if it was possible to calculate actual water mileages. Say you set a minimum of 10 miles, a person would have to post the cache and the distance from the launch to the cache (shortest distance used to enter toward the challenge) then they would have to accumulate enough caches and mileage to be eligible to log the challenge. This would eliminate the issue of the cache being a 3 mile paddle or a 150 yard paddle. Until I read your thread I haven't given this much thought so it may be shot full of insurmountable problems but I can see some merit to the idea on the surface.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)