vb:literal>

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Geo-Rallye III

Default Scoring

The hiders met and reviewed the nature of the hides.

The Virtual/non-cache items will score 1 to 3 points each

The caches will score from 4 to 10

The cache scores were determined by evaluating the D/T ratings plus an assessment of how long it will take. For example a 1.5/2.0 cache which requires a one mile trail walk to reach it will be worth more than a similarly rated cache which is near parking.

The goal is to reward folks who take the time to do the more time consuming caches.

Is the scoring perfect? I am sure arguments can be advanced each way, but it is what it is and should be fun to work with.

The winner may not be the folks who found the most items, it will be the folks who earned the most points.

Update, we have 60 hides, over 20 Virtual/non-cache items, close to 30 teams. Great prizes. Should be a fun day.

Seems quite fair and reasonable.....for sure. If points are already figured out, that should be helpful in planning, due to time constraints.

Thanks Ed
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

One question I have had is about how the packet is going to be organized. Does it start at one end and end on another or are they all mixed? Not that it matters as we will all be in the same boat anyways.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Also, does each team get one packet or each member?
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Quote Originally Posted by Team V3 View Post
    One question I have had is about how the packet is going to be organized. Does it start at one end and end on another or are they all mixed? Not that it matters as we will all be in the same boat anyways.

Also, does each team get one packet or each member?

Hey Skip,

There will be one packet of cache info per team. I am unaware that the caches have been sorted in any particular order. I believe they were numbered as they were received by Jim Horwich and that they will be given to you in numerical order.

Ed

Fair enough Anything is fair as long as all are on the same level

Default Another question

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but I haven't done a rally before so...I assume that all the caches will be published at or near 8:00 AM? So will we all run a PQ at DeLorme, load into GSAK and off we go? Are we going to get a map with the caches shown on them, topo 7.0?

This sounds like it's going to be a hoot!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I could be wrong but that's about par for me recently. Anyway I think they probably will be published but not before all the event participants will be given the coordinates along with the whole packet at the start of the event. That way the participants of the event will be given the 1st chance at a FTF. I doubt any non-participant will be able to have a chance at the FTF. I could be wrong though and I'm sure someone will pipe in and correct me on that. Sounds like a great time no matter how it is handled,just wish I were there to take part in it. HAVE FUN Y"ALL
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Published After The Event

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I could be wrong but that's about par for me recently. Anyway I think they probably will be published but not before all the event participants will be given the coordinates along with the whole packet at the start of the event. That way the participants of the event will be given the 1st chance at a FTF. I doubt any non-participant will be able to have a chance at the FTF. I could be wrong though and I'm sure someone will pipe in and correct me on that. Sounds like a great time no matter how it is handled,just wish I were there to take part in it. HAVE FUN Y"ALL
    You are correct Haffy!!! The caches are set to be published after 4PM Saturday.

Since not all folks have access to the same technologies, this is old fashioned paper caching. A large component of a teams strategy will be figuring out where to go first and trying to avoid false starts and duplicated efforts.

I think haste may make waste, this race may go to the tortoise who carefully plods along maximizing its results.

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    Is the scoring perfect? I am sure arguments can be advanced each way, but it is what it is and should be fun to work with.
    I wish you knew a way to score them perfectly. I've pondered for over a year over D/T/Elevation/number of and types of words in logs/etc., to use in the stats. Too many variables to worry about being exact on that subject.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."