vb:literal>

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Geo-Rallye III

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I think there are a three of us that are going to do the rally. If there is an individual that wants to do this but can't muster up a team let me know. We are going to be a rag-tag team but we will have lots of laughs and a good time no matter. Anybody with the monikor brdad is welcome to join even if the brdad monikor is synonymous with curmudgeon! (hehehe)

Cache On!!
    Sorry, but I refuse to participate in an event which I might enjoy despite having disagreements with some facets of it! Then again, I am heading to a potluck card tournament in an hour in which at least one person will bring some god awful food like dill pickles or spinach bites which I am totally against and think it reflects poorly on the game. At least I'll have my sweet and sour meatballs and Lee's salmon salad to fall back on.

But, have fun, cache responsibly, and remember how you act will reflect on all cachers in the area.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

What!? We can't speed, ignore one-ways, rolling stops, push/shove, run faster, take off-trail shortcuts, cut through people's yards, ignore parking coords, re-hide differently, photoshop cache finds, use signatures/stickers that are faster and take up 3x the usual, and just plain get creative in order to get one more cache than the next guy!? Man I didn't sign up for this!! lol
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Are all the caches going to be 1 on terrain, so handycapped can participate?

no, they will not be...I'll check and see how many might be...

Default Disagree with what facets?

Hey, brdad...What parts of the geo-rally do you have issues? Sounds like fun but I admit I've never been to one.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Well you asked...

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Hey, brdad...What parts of the geo-rally do you have issues? Sounds like fun but I admit I've never been to one.
    The biggest is the all familiar issue I have with the promotion of competition/racing/numbers/lets not take time to enjoy a cache, which I think can make an effect on how caching is portrayed to the community. Smaller issues include using unpublished caches and having to play to participate, neither of which has much if any impact on caching as a whole - it just seems a bit tacky to me personally.

That being said, I have never heard of any serious issues that have resulted from any of the similar rallies in this state. I do know there have been issues on occasions with other competitions in this state and with a few rallies elsewhere.

Since I know your opinion of the competition subject differs greatly from mine, there is a good chance you would love it.
    Last edited by brdad; 09-05-2009 at 09:11 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Geo Rally

While I wouldn't suggest that I'm not competitive, geocaching is probably the least competitive activity I enjoy. I think the competition is with myself and not with the caching communitiy. While a FTF effort is undeniably competitive, most caching activities are not. My biggest enjoyment is caching with friends. If we do the rally, it will be with mapachi and shotgun, very good friends and clever cachers, but all of us in the "60ish" age category and we won't be in this to win anything, just for the good time. Plus, there are a lot of very nice and very clever cachers in the Portland area who aren't often on this site but who put out great caches and are fun to cache with as well. It will be good to see those folks.

We will try it but don't bet on us to be competitve at this event. If you want to see my competitve side, meet me at the golf course or a shooting range!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Carefull Brdad, the guy can shoot! I have witnessed it first hand.

Have fun with your rally folks!

Cache on!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Default the guy can shoot!

But can he golf?????
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

He can Talk!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!