vb:literal>

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Geo-Rallye III

With all the golf talk...I thought maybe someone was hoping for a preview.... a 1/1 available by golf cart, placed by Lexmano
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

I figured I would have a chance at the longest drive at the Rally of course! Probably can win low score also!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Are participants getting a registration confirmation e-mail? It would be horrible to show up the day of the rallye, only to find that their application wasn't received.

Default Good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcache View Post
    Are participants getting a registration confirmation e-mail? It would be horrible to show up the day of the rallye, only to find that their application wasn't received.
    That is the plan! I believe she told me she had yours Phil, check your inbox soon.

Default 60 Hides!!!

The hiding committee got together last night for a preliminary look at the hides. There are more than 60 caches contemplated. Maybe as many as 7 or 8 water caches, some long trail walks (more than a mile from parking). some evil hides, some simple puzzles and some park and grabs.

After reviewing the hides I can now say with certainty, no team can do them all in the allotted time. The points are varying, with many relatively time consuming caches which reward those who go for them with higher points.

The prizes are piling up, we are amazed at the generosity being displayed by our sponsors. I enclose a link to a web page with details of rules, equipment needed or suggested and a list of our sponsors.

http://sites.google.com/site/mainegeorallye3/sponsors-3

At this moment there are 14 teams with money in, about 6 or 7 more we are expecting. Only one team from Bangor area so far, come on down folks! We have New York and Massachusetts teams coming.

The entry deadline is Saturday September 19th. Money does not need to be received by then, but we would like to know that your entry is coming. So please speak up.

I don't have any Geo Rallye experience, and haven't heard any experiences. I understand that you're supposed to stop a specified distance from the cache location if someone is there. I assume that's determined by parking!? Or is the whistle for something more than Emergency use!?

I know as an active sub-community that we do our best to abide by GC.com guidelines. In the FAQ it states that you respect other cachers opportunity at a cache by using an FRS radio, Channel 2 primary and 12 secondary. I bought into the Garmin Rhino series for this pupose, as a multi-use geocaching tool. However I've not found Anyone else that follows this, and have since had to adjust to something locally known as a Co-FTF!?

So....are we using our hi-tech knowledge and experience to make the game more fun? Or are we adding to the barrage of whistles being blown in the Maine woods during bird season, while our team members are busy running around like dogs looking to flush Something out!?

I don't have any Geo Rallye experience, and haven't heard any experiences. I understand that you're supposed to stop a specified distance from the cache location if someone is there. I assume that's determined by parking!? Or is the whistle for something more than Emergency use!?

I know as an active sub-community that we do our best to abide by GC.com guidelines. In the FAQ it states that you respect other cachers opportunity at a cache by using an FRS radio, Channel 2 primary and 12 secondary. I bought into the Garmin Rhino series for this pupose, as a multi-use geocaching tool. However I've not found Anyone else that follows this, and have since had to adjust to something locally known as a Co-FTF!?

So....are we using our hi-tech knowledge and experience to make the game more fun? Or are we adding to the barrage of whistles being blown in the Maine woods during bird season, while our team members are busy running around like dogs looking to flush Something out!?
    Sheesh! I like this comment - I really do! LOL!

Do you know where you read this in the FAQ? I followed and participated in the discussion of the official FRS radio channel back in '02 and as I recall the major reason for having the radios was so that we could meet up with other cachers, not so that we could avoid them at a cache! I'm just curious how it came to be that way. I've never thought it could be disrespectful to approach another cacher at a cache....

I used to carry my FRS radio around all the time after the official channel was decided on, but it never connected me with another cacher. Then again, There were probably less than 25 people who cached on a regular basis back then and probably less then 5 paid attention to the forums or web site to even know about the FRS channel. I wonder how many would now if we promoted it some?

Regarding co-FTF, Lee and I do it this way - we both go to the cache, if we find it at the same time, it's a co-ftf. If I am 15 feet away and looking somewhere else when Lee spots it, it's her find. I would use this same process no matter who I was caching with, and whoever I am with can feel free to use their method. If I am at a cache, and another cacher comes upon me, they can choose to hold back to find it themselves or join right in, it makes no difference to me.

In some ways, I feel an FTF on an unpublished cache is not really an FTF anyway.
    Last edited by brdad; 09-17-2009 at 06:35 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Phil, there is NO premium for FTF's, the whistle is just to alert a team at a cache that you are coming. Then they have to finish up and vacate, whether they find the cache on not within 3 minutes. If no one else comes they can wait and go right back after your 3 minutes. The objective is to make sure that each team finds the caches on their own. These caches are spread out so, that we don't expect this to be a big issue, but needed some way to deal with any traffic jams that may develop.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    In some ways, I feel a FTF on an unpublished cache is not really a FTF anyway.
    I feel the same way.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.