vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herbie

Default Herbie

Just in case you don't read the Portland paper...nice story about an amazing tree...I guess I'll remove the cache once the tree is gone...http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/st...75876&ac=PHnws

Quote Originally Posted by TeamHorwich View Post
    Just in case you don't read the Portland paper...nice story about an amazing tree...I guess I'll remove the cache once the tree is gone...http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/st...75876&ac=PHnws
    Oh - so sad. I loved the cache. I would have never seen that beautiful tree if I had not been caching. Quite the history to a huge tree. Well, you could leave the cache and write up the history but it just wouldn't be the same.

I hope they do something wonderful with the wood.

this is sad we enjoyed looking at that tree and everytime we go by we say hi to herbie. it would be nice to get a piece of the wood from the tree. i would send it out as a tb with the history of the tree and a mission to visit other great trees like herbie
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

I was shocked when I read that this morning. I was visiting a friend yesterday who has one of the biggest and oldest trees in Gorham on his property which got us on the subject of Herbie.

Guess I'll have to go do that cache soon. What's the number?
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Herbie (GC17D9X) by NorthCumberMouth Cachers (1/1)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Sad news indeed. I passed that tree many times and didn't realize how big it was until the cache was placed.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Default Herbie and other Elm Trees

I grew up in Waterville, known as the "Elm City." The stately elms were on all the main arteries and were beautiful to see. There are few left now and their removal changed the way Waterville looked in a big way. I'm fortunate to have a collection of old photos showing the area of my main street office how it looked with elms everywhere. The Elmwood Hotel was on main street where the recently closed Rite Aid presently sits.

On a different note, we cut and split our wood and last year one of "friends" brought me some elm. It is near impossible to split, very stringy and didn't seem to burn well either. Maybe they'll make something useful out of Herbie.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    . . ..

On a different note, we cut and split our wood and last year one of "friends" brought me some elm. It is near impossible to split, very stringy and didn't seem to burn well either. Maybe they'll make something useful out of Herbie.

Fresh cut elm is wicked stringy and notoriously difficult to split . . . however when well seasoned it will actually burn quite well. Heck, last year I burned almost all elm -- standing dead wood (dead for a year + since the bark had fallen off most of the trees) . . . that elm actually split like a dream (when practically pop when split and very few stringy pieces) and burned great . . . pretty much got me through my first winter.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Thanks for the cache and allowing us to meet this friend. We had not done this cache until recently.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."