vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting Season

Default Good

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    This Saturday, September 12th marks the start of the Fall hunting season in Maine. As for Vermont and New Hampshire they got an early start, and opened their season's on the first of September. So be aware of the area you will be hiking in and always wear orange when out in the woods this time of year.

I picked up a nice vest last year at Walmart that has plenty of pockets to store all of my Fall gear in.

Happy hunting and be safe everyone!

The above post has the correct links and states attached to them.

Thank you. Something to keep in mind.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Exclamation just a reminder.......

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    I'm good, Haffy as it is keeping the thread alive till Rick can fix the links on the front page.

Maine: http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_tra...imits_2009.htm

New Hampshire: http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunt...nd_seasons.htm

Vermont: http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/Cal...terange=future
    The weather is looking good and I'm sure a few of you will be out in the woods this week.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Yes, we have to remember to keep safe, some people should not be trusted with a fire arm, and we have to remember to wear orange.

Default Some people

Quote Originally Posted by jesse207445 View Post
    Yes, we have to remember to keep safe, some people should not be trusted with a fire arm, and we have to remember to wear orange.
    It's not just firearms some people should not be trusted with. Some shouldn't even be trusted with a computer or a car. Being an avid hunter, I've seen my fair share of people who shouldn't be allowed to go to a store that sells firearms but I've seen far more responsible firearm owners who hope that the morons who are dangerous just don't kill anyone. It makes safe hunters look bad. Geocachers should be able to go out looking for caches anywhere and not have to wear orange but I'd recommend it for safety's sake. A responsible hunter will not only positively identify his target as a legal target, he will ensure that what is beyond the target is not in danger if he or she pulls the trigger.

Husband is an avid hunter so I'm not against hunting but this fall has been extremely irritating at our new home which abuts an, apparantly, prime hunting piece. Our neighbors dog which is a small 45lb huskie was shot clean through with a slug by an irresponsible hunter. She lived, thankfully. The hunters response when questioned about shooting a dog, "yes, its out there" and points to the woods. "But I had a doe permit!" was one of the last things he said..... Shot the dog and knew it and then left it to die.

So there are those hunters that are responsible, and there are definately those that aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    ... ... The hunters response when questioned about shooting a dog, "yes, its out there" and points to the woods. "But I had a doe permit!" was one of the last things he said..... Shot the dog and knew it and then left it to die.

So there are those hunters that are responsible, and there are definately those that aren't.

People that hunt recklessly/irresponsibly with firearms are not "hunters." They may call themselves that but a true hunter is someone who respects all aspects of the sport. As such a motor vehicle license doesn't make a person a NASCAR driver even though some people may act that part. Heck, some people who have children shouldn't ever be called a parent.

Hunters and idiots-with-guns need to be kept seperate please. I'm an avid hunter myself and would like to make that distinction clear. That is not to say that you should not wear hunters orange or that you shouldn't wear your seatbelt.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    The hunters response when questioned about shooting a dog, "yes, its out there" and points to the woods. "But I had a doe permit!" was one of the last things he said.....
    Sheesh! I also live in prime hunting territory (only 2 paved roads between here and the Canadian border), and nothing makes me madder than hearing "BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG..." You know it's another one of those "doe permit" hunters that will shoot at anything that moves. I've been a hunter all my life, but...

Default Dogs

ltlindian, that sounds like a terrible situation for the dog and it's owner. The so called hunter, however, should be prosecuted whether or not the dog owner wants to press charges. Any person carrying a firearm in the woods hunting absolutely must be sure of the identity of his or her target. Failure to do so results in what you describe. That person should be charged with a crime, should lose his or her license and have the firearm taken away from him/her. There is simply no excuse for shooting a dog, they DO NOT look like deer. Especially if the firearm was equipped with decent optics.

Maybe I should get down off my soapbox now.

Nope, that's fine. Same soapbox my husband was on. "Identify your target" is what he is always saying. Well, anyway, dog is fine and hunting season is mostly over. That buck in my back yard is still eluding my husband, much to his annoyance! lol Maybe next year.