vb:literal>

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone else noticed this?

Default Has anyone else noticed this?

Certain caches seem to be worse about losing T.B.s or Geocoins than others? There is one in Bangor that I will not mention that listed having several coins, including one of MINE. I went by to pull out my coin to move it somewhere else and WHAMO, NO COINS. Ok, that wouldnt be so frustrating but this is like the third time that I have been to this particular cache and found all the coins gone and NO LOGS, and most of the coins MIA. Now I see the logs there indicate that its happened AGAIN! The one coin listed is now gone. Are there people who poach coins by wathing G.C.com and wait until there is a coin in a particular cache and they take it? I cant believe all of the removed coins where taken by people who dont know coin ettiquite and dont log them when they should and then they turn up elsewhere. They all seem to just disappear off the face of the earth, MINE INCLUDED! This coin theft **** is starting to really PISS ME OFF! But what really makes me mad is my 3 year olds Travel Bug was in a cache up home in Patten that was muggled and now her TB is gone. She was very dissappionted that she cant watch it move around anymore. Maybe we need to develop a tracking coin, LITERALLY! One that sends signals as to where IT IS! Sorry for the rant this just really gets my blood hot!

Where the hell is that thing?

Ah Homer, I understnad your drift. I have ligitimately placed coins with witnesses and they have gone missing...........I don't know the cache you refer to (PM me if you like and we can discuss) but there are plenty of trackables in general (coins and TBs) which go missing in a ton of areas.

We all need to remember when we release them - their fate is truely - open to the World of muggles. Honestly - there is nothing to prevent anyone from finding our sport, coming on in, grabbing an trackable and changing the direction of our fun. No question - it stinks, but it does happen.

I have used the logs to try and recover (as a cache owner and proactive to helping) TBs and coins........but not everyone is willing to go read the logs and micromanage helping in a recovery.

On the other side - I have had some of mine disappear for a long time and reappear mysteriously to my surprise. This was always a woo, hoo!

Do not give up faith - frustrated and hard to explain to a little one for sure - but maybe it will resurface.

I am interested in the where it disappeared........also interested in what will happen with the hotel which says it is being taped..............

Default Aarrghh

Quote Originally Posted by EvilHomer View Post
    Certain caches seem to be worse about losing T.B.s or Geocoins than others? There is one in Bangor that I will not mention that listed having several coins, including one of MINE. I went by to pull out my coin to move it somewhere else and WHAMO, NO COINS. Ok, that wouldnt be so frustrating but this is like the third time that I have been to this particular cache and found all the coins gone and NO LOGS, and most of the coins MIA. Now I see the logs there indicate that its happened AGAIN! The one coin listed is now gone. Are there people who poach coins by wathing G.C.com and wait until there is a coin in a particular cache and they take it? I cant believe all of the removed coins where taken by people who dont know coin ettiquite and dont log them when they should and then they turn up elsewhere. They all seem to just disappear off the face of the earth, MINE INCLUDED! This coin theft **** is starting to really PISS ME OFF! But what really makes me mad is my 3 year olds Travel Bug was in a cache up home in Patten that was muggled and now her TB is gone. She was very dissappionted that she cant watch it move around anymore. Maybe we need to develop a tracking coin, LITERALLY! One that sends signals as to where IT IS! Sorry for the rant this just really gets my blood hot!

I know exactly which cache in Bangor you are talking about as I put three TB's in it, all had more thought than just attaching a matchbox or something, and all three disappeared with no logs. I'm thinking this one particular cache maybe ought to be relocated and watched closely to see if its a lucky muggle finding it or an actual cacher. Quite frustrating as they may be just tags but they aren't free. I was wondering what took them so long to move and then received email logs that they were missing. I personally won't be putting more trackables in that location to meet their death...

If anyone happens to see Darth, Pumpkin Head, or Spooky Face, they all disappeard from the cache they were started in so please get them back into circulation. I had fun putting them together and hate to see this happen to anyones bugs, let alone mine.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

OK - so now I know which cache. Has anyone hiked out to read the written cache log? And - based on personal experience - I strongly suggest changing the name of the TB to beginning with and ending with STOLEN.

TBs are a bit different than coins - as the number is on a tag and there is an object attached vs. a Geocoin where the number is on a coin. Still not a joke they are missing,

I would be posting on my TB page a long story about it going missing. Shame the perp into putting it back somewhere. The cache these were taken from isn't something or somewhere just anyone would stumble upon it. Not at all!

So, whoever found it - did so knowingly and may just be lurking.........post your feelings on your TB page and pray for the best!

JMHO

I know from experience that someone in the Bangor area is a geocoin/TB thief. It is someone we know and is a member of the GeocachingMaine.org "community". Contrary to some previous comments in these forums, I have never suggested that any specific person is "the culprit". All I can say is, "Beware in Bangor"!

It's funny how some people are as passionate about TB issues as I am other issues! TBs are a great idea but there are too many cracks in the process to get wound up over IMO. It's amazing some make it as far as they do.

I do however, think it is wrong to take TBs and feel your pain. I have put two TBs out, both went missing from the first cache they were placed in. The first one I replaced using the copy tag. The second one was an 18 lb TB I dropped on an island! Mysteriously, that one reappeared a year later (On the island!), has made two hops, and is now in Montreal.

Anyway, it is too bad that there are actual geocachers out there who would do this. Time to set up a game camera!
    Last edited by brdad; 08-17-2009 at 07:53 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

With all this in mind, I would like to release a coin with a mission, however I am not about to do so only to have it stolen, especially by a cacher. That said, is it ok or possible to place a copy or facsimille of a coin to send it on it's way?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Some people drill a hole in their coins. That at least stops anyone from taking it to sell. But that's about all it stops, and it often looks ugly.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    With all this in mind, I would like to release a coin with a mission, however I am not about to do so only to have it stolen, especially by a cacher. That said, is it ok or possible to place a copy or facsimille of a coin to send it on it's way?
    Recently I logged a coin that was basically a "plug". The sender printed a photo of the original then glued it to the plug. It had the weight of a real coin but in was definately paper glued on. If I were ever to send a coin I would do the same. I too have had several coins move from the genesis cache into a theifs collection and I have a good Idea who it is too.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Default Ban?

Anyone feel like shooting out a PM as to who this might be? I don't have all the inside info that some of you have and would love to know what the hell would disgruntle someone to the point where they feel the needs to steal TB's and coins, and possibly ruin caches. If some of you know who it is for sure, has this person been banned from this site? Is there complaint process to try and ban them GC.com?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry