vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iraq

Default Iraq

I know it's late and don't ask how I ran across this, but does anyone know anything about this?

Your cache has been removed by security forces, and the listing is consequently disabled.
    Geocaching has been banned on Joint Base Balad for OpSec. Please archive the listing.

What's going on over there?
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I thought caches were not allowed on any military base.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

yeah, I think they have a good reason to not want any suspicious looking containers hidden around...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Sheesh! There are still 280 geocaches in Iraq! I don't think I'd want to be opening any ammo cans...

There have been several Geocaching Events on bases in Iraq.

I remember just before the war started, there was one cache in Iraq. It was archived by gc.com when the war started for safety reasons. At the time, GPSrs were not allowed there by the citizens or visitors. You also needed two visas and to pay for a special car to take you into Baghdad, and then you still needed to take a bus to get to the cache.

We take so much for granted - Imagine having to smuggle a GPSr and risk being shot on the street for possessing one, let alone geocaching. So again a special thanks for all those who have served past and present anywhere on earth to protect our fragile freedoms so that we can participate in something as trivial as Geocaching. Don't take it for granted!
    Last edited by brdad; 09-04-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    I know it's late and don't ask how I ran across this, but does anyone know anything about this?

Your cache has been removed by security forces, and the listing is consequently disabled.
    Geocaching has been banned on Joint Base Balad for OpSec. Please archive the listing.

What's going on over there?
    I don't know the circumstances of this log, but OpSec is military for operational security. If mystery containers are considered a danger to a secure base or convoy route (as they should in certain parts of the world) than I can understand this log quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    ** portion snipped ** We take so much for granted - Imagine having to smuggle a GPSr and risk being shot on the street for possessing one, let alone geocaching. So again a special thanks for all those who have served past and present anywhere on earth to protect our fragile freedoms so that we can participate in something as trivial as Geocaching. Don't take it for granted!
    Amen to this statement. And to many members of this site we owe this gratitude!

Well, what I found is that there were several caches all around out there in Iraq. Many had received permission from specific personnel. They seemed to be active for quit a while then, boom, they all got archived.

My computer is locking up on me right now so I can't bring up the logs I want to tell you about, but I'll have to check into it further if no one has heard anything about it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    .... Imagine having to smuggle a GPSr and risk being shot on the street for possessing one, let alone geocaching. So again a special thanks for all those who have served past and present anywhere on earth to protect our fragile freedoms so that we can participate in something as trivial as Geocaching. Don't take it for granted!
    Wooohooo...... sounds like the ultimate rush. Geocaching in high muggle areas under the cover of darkness w/a mil spec. GPS watch doesn't compare

Yes, thank you to one and all of my comrades/family for their sacrifices.... and lives lost. Mine/ours hardly compare.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!