Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Introducing new GCM members

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default Introducing new GCM members

    I have a great idea and I think this might have been brought up before but I'll introduce it once again since I don't want to intrude an another topic. We as active members and even non-active members owe it to this site to remind new cachers that we are here. If you have placed a cache or even seen others placing caches and you know they are new and don't know about this site you owe it yourselves and others to introduce them to us. When you see that they are new with only a few caches under their belt,give them a buzz and tell them about us and invite them to visit this site. I used to do that all the time and don'tknow how many people I have brought to the site but it is many I'm sure. Just ask them to visit us at www.geocachingmaine.org and if there is anything geocaching related that we can help them with then just ask us here. I think the last person I asked was Dan Dubord and look what he has done for this site and for caching. JMHO
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Sheesh! We do this all the time and never gave it a thought that other GMC.org members didn't do so as well. Additionally, if someone from Maine logs one of our caches, I'll often check to see if they're members, and if not, invite them to join us. I also send a welcome message to all new members as well.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hampden, ME
    Posts
    891

    Default

    It is a good idea. Another action item can be to add the "I'm a member of GeocachingMaine.org" banner to cache listings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I have a great idea and I think this might have been brought up before but I'll introduce it once again since I don't want to intrude an another topic. We as active members and even non-active members owe it to this site to remind new cachers that we are here. If you have placed a cache or even seen others placing caches and you know they are new and don't know about this site you owe it yourselves and others to introduce them to us. When you see that they are new with only a few caches under their belt,give them a buzz and tell them about us and invite them to visit this site. I used to do that all the time and don'tknow how many people I have brought to the site but it is many I'm sure. Just ask them to visit us at www.geocachingmaine.org and if there is anything geocaching related that we can help them with then just ask us here. I think the last person I asked was Dan Dubord and look what he has done for this site and for caching. JMHO
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Another action item can be to add the "I'm a member of GeocachingMaine.org" banner to cache listings.
    Can someone post a couple of these banners? I've got one on some of our sites, but it's not a good one.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hampden, ME
    Posts
    891

    Default

    As many know, here is where they live: http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...ead.php?t=1567
    I've tried adding them after publishing a cache but it threw off the justification and the cache description just didn't look good. I guess in my case, I need to add it when first publishing.

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Can someone post a couple of these banners? I've got one on some of our sites, but it's not a good one.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hampden, ME
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! We do this all the time and never gave it a thought that other GMC.org members didn't do so as well. Additionally, if someone from Maine logs one of our caches, I'll often check to see if they're members, and if not, invite them to join us. I also send a welcome message to all new members as well.

    GOOD JOB BRUCE!!!! I knew you did but know that others could also use the same incentive to do so as well. Thanks you "OLD CURMUDGEON YOU" LOL
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Good link and all you have to do is copy and paste the html to your cache page when you post a new cache. I have that on all my Maine caches, or should I say all my Maine adopted caches.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default Outreach

    First of all, thanks for the kind thoughts Haffy! You also told me after I did my first 100 "Addicting isn't it Dan?" and I thought "Yeah, a little bit I guess." No denying it now.

    The site is a wealth of information for sure. The contacts are the most important, from Bruce's introductory tutorial for Di and I about GSAK at KK's event, to thoughtful threads on all things caching and of course all the new friends we have made. While the welcome page is a great idea, I agree with Haffy that a little extra personal touch might make the difference in a "lurker" and a cacher who has something useful to say.

    I would like the members to be more like "members" of a true group, more involved in activities like the Relay for Life that Dan does, perhaps a list of us who like public speaking and promote the sport in that manner. The CITO events could be better promoted on this site.

    So to you newer members, don't be shy. Get involved and don't be afraid to ask questions, any questions. I've never seen a question asked that I thought was "dumb" on this site. Most of the technical difficulties I've had were solved by members of this group, many more then willing to share their know how.

    Lastly, don't get turned off on those few occassions when some of the discussions get a bit heated...we're all human, have egos, strong opinions, but most of time we play well together.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    First of all, thanks for the kind thoughts Haffy! You also told me after I did my first 100 "Addicting isn't it Dan?" and I thought "Yeah, a little bit I guess." No denying it now.

    Lastly, don't get turned off on those few occassions when some of the discussions get a bit heated...we're all human, have egos, strong opinions, but most of time we play well together.
    That last quote by Dan is so true. We are a forum so to speak and things can get a "little" heated at times but we are all in this for the same thing and that is the comradarie and fellowship that geocaching has brought us together as something we can have fun with and share with others. Even though I am living here in SC now I still consider Maine my 1st home and hope that someday I will be living back in Maine. Just need a job prospect!!!!!
    Any offers?????
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •