vb:literal>

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi there!

Default Hi there!

Hello from Upstate New York! I have been looking through the site tonight (and will continue to do so for a while) as me and a friend are looking to make a couple of day trip through Maine on a geocaching roadtrip in early August.

I'll be trying to find some of the "must-find" caches as well as others -- once we come up with a way we want to travel. We're likely going to follow 95 up to the border and hopefully into Canada for a few hours. Our way back, we're likely going to make our way toward Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park and take other roads down the coast to grab a bunch of Earthcaches.

From my looking around tonight, looks like Maine is sweet caching. I'll look forward to this trip!

Welcome to the site!

By "the border" do you mean Houlton or some other point? We have many many miles of Canadian Border.

I can't help you once you're in Canada. Stupid Parole laws.

You'll love the Maine coast.

We have several nice earthcaches. If you can give us a more precise route and an idea of the D/T and type caches you like to do we can give you some ideas.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Coastal caching

Hi PJ! Here's a few suggestions. These are mostly close to Route 1 with a side trip to Boothbay Harbor and Castine.

Bug Light in Portland for a great view of the Harbor.

Take the trip down Route 24 from Brunswick, a penisula with a wide assortment of caches. Lobster Stew and a frosty at Cook's is recommended.

At Boothbay, all of the Pike Patrol BRLT caches are terrific. Don't miss Hasta La Vista Maybe. Encylopaedia Botanica is in the Maine Botanical Gardens, small fee but beautiful place.

Rockland, there's a cache at the start of the mile long Breakwater, then walk on out. Hot Dogs at Wasses, none better. Then a 15 minute hike up the Beech Hill cache, best view of Penobscot Bay in the area.

Camden, you drive to the top of Mt Battie to get Patty's Mount Battie cache. Great view if the fog is not in. Down at the Harbor, Schooners R us cache (mine) will put you harborside. On Saturdays and early Sunday mornings the schooners will be in. Try lunch at Cappy's chowder house, best Bloody Mary's in Maine! There's a real cool earthcache slightly out of you way called Gravity Outlaw. If you want to see some spectacular mansions and beautiful little park, do Going to the Chapel.

Just north of Belfast, going into Moose Point and take the 15 minute walk along the shore to the one cache there. Small fee but worth it.

Fort Point cache in Stockton Springs. Now you're getting "downeast!"

Now you need to decide about side trips. Castine has a lot of nice caches. The Witherle Woods caches are some of my favorites.

Acadia National Park is Maine's only National Park and there are plenty of opportunites, but generally a rather busy place in summer months.

If you're continuing on Route 1, Roque Rocks cache is worth a stop and you'll be rewarded with scenic vistas all the way to the cache. You need to go when the tide is on the low side. This is one of the few 2001 placed caches left in Maine.

From there, you're on you own as that's a far downeast as I've cached. Have fun!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Boy, Dubord summed it up great. Beech Hill was one of my favorites and all of the listed caches will take you on a scenic journey through coastal Maine.

Hi! Welcome )

One of my favorites has been "Got Moxie?" (GCH9JK), but I think that may be going a little out of your way.

I second dubord's suggestion of Fort Point... the cache is near my husband's favorite sea glass spot.

Quote Originally Posted by softball29 View Post
    We're likely going to follow 95 up to the border and hopefully into Canada for a few hours.
    Personally, I don't think there's any reason for doing this. Almost nothing to see between Bangor and the Canadian border (120 miles), and very few nearby geocaches. The very nice Kings Landing Historical Settlement near Fredericton, New Brunswick is definitely worth a visit, though (1 hour beyond the border).

I'd recommend traveling along the coast to the Canadian border. Great scenery, lots of geocaches, and nice towns at the end of the line: Calais in the US, St. Stephen (ChocolateTown Canada) across the border. And you can take the fairly fast Route 9 (2 hours or so) back to Bangor.

And I don't remember if anyone mentioned, but don't forget that you need either a passport or passport card to get back into the US.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Welcome to the site!

By "the border" do you mean Houlton or some other point? We have many many miles of Canadian Border.

I can't help you once you're in Canada. Stupid Parole laws.

You'll love the Maine coast.

We have several nice earthcaches. If you can give us a more precise route and an idea of the D/T and type caches you like to do we can give you some ideas.
    As of right now, yes, Houlton is the spot we were looking at.

I've been to Maine once before -- went to Bar Harbor a few years back and the coast is amazing. We went in the fall, which was even better with the colors.

Basically, we're doing something like this -- starting in New York and zig-zagging up through the Eastern side to get many DeLorme squares. Then we're crossing over through Vermont and New Hampshire and then up into Maine. The goal is probably to spend about two days driving through and caching Maine. Possibly some camping, or pending weather, finding quick hotels.

But, I'm a planner when on big trips, so I need to start now if I'm going to be prepared for August! That way I can get everything in order of what we feel is the best way to go!

Thanks again. So far, there are some great items on this thread that I need to look at!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Hi PJ! Here's a few suggestions. These are mostly close to Route 1 with a side trip to Boothbay Harbor and Castine.

Bug Light in Portland for a great view of the Harbor.

Take the trip down Route 24 from Brunswick, a penisula with a wide assortment of caches. Lobster Stew and a frosty at Cook's is recommended.

At Boothbay, all of the Pike Patrol BRLT caches are terrific. Don't miss Hasta La Vista Maybe. Encylopaedia Botanica is in the Maine Botanical Gardens, small fee but beautiful place.

Rockland, there's a cache at the start of the mile long Breakwater, then walk on out. Hot Dogs at Wasses, none better. Then a 15 minute hike up the Beech Hill cache, best view of Penobscot Bay in the area.

Camden, you drive to the top of Mt Battie to get Patty's Mount Battie cache. Great view if the fog is not in. Down at the Harbor, Schooners R us cache (mine) will put you harborside. On Saturdays and early Sunday mornings the schooners will be in. Try lunch at Cappy's chowder house, best Bloody Mary's in Maine! There's a real cool earthcache slightly out of you way called Gravity Outlaw. If you want to see some spectacular mansions and beautiful little park, do Going to the Chapel.

Just north of Belfast, going into Moose Point and take the 15 minute walk along the shore to the one cache there. Small fee but worth it.

Fort Point cache in Stockton Springs. Now you're getting "downeast!"

Now you need to decide about side trips. Castine has a lot of nice caches. The Witherle Woods caches are some of my favorites.

Acadia National Park is Maine's only National Park and there are plenty of opportunites, but generally a rather busy place in summer months.

If you're continuing on Route 1, Roque Rocks cache is worth a stop and you'll be rewarded with scenic vistas all the way to the cache. You need to go when the tide is on the low side. This is one of the few 2001 placed caches left in Maine.

From there, you're on you own as that's a far downeast as I've cached. Have fun!
    Just google mapped to see Route 1 from the top of the state down and I almost think that would be one heck of a fun trip all the way down the coast -- for caches AND for photo opportunities. Pop off in Bar Harbor, Boothbay and we'll have to stop at a couple of other places, too.

Our plans can change and after looking at Maine, I think I want to spend more time in the state.

Basically, we have 4 1/2 days of total caching. Give or take. The plan now is to leave New York either Sunday night or Monday early AM. I have to be back to our town by mid-day Friday. Anything in the middle is open game. My one friend has a Verizon and Sprint wireless card setup for his laptop, so we can always change on the fly and go elsewhere.

One of the reasons I'd like to go to Houlton is a quick cross to New Brunswick (and another province to add to the list) and I also like the look of that webcam -- and getting another webcam cache in another state! I'll be hoping to do a bunch of Earthcaches and any other that looks good. I'm sure we'll hit a few park-and-grabs to help boost the numbers for the trip, but we won't shy away from a good cache.

I have looked at and saved a bunch of these you have mentioned. I'll be starting a notebook soon, too, so I can really keep track of things.

Thanks for these suggestions and please feel free to keep them coming -- or any suggestions on how we should tackle the state!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Welcome to the site!

I think I skipped this part, so I figured I should put this info in.

The route is open for discussion. We might come in via 95, but are more than willing to shift things. Though 95 might be what we need to get to a better "starting" spot.

As for D/T -- average is fine. I don't mind the high-terrain, but we'd rather not have to spend several hours in going after one cache. Being we're going to be traveling a lot of miles in several days, we figure being an average -- with one or two "big hits" sprinkled in would be the best way to go.

Also, those going are all into historic covered bridges and waterfalls, so it's always nice to be able to see those!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Personally, I don't think there's any reason for doing this. Almost nothing to see between Bangor and the Canadian border (120 miles), and very few nearby geocaches. The very nice Kings Landing Historical Settlement near Fredericton, New Brunswick is definitely worth a visit, though (1 hour beyond the border).

I'd recommend traveling along the coast to the Canadian border. Great scenery, lots of geocaches, and nice towns at the end of the line: Calais in the US, St. Stephen (ChocolateTown Canada) across the border. And you can take the fairly fast Route 9 (2 hours or so) back to Bangor.

And I don't remember if anyone mentioned, but don't forget that you need either a passport or passport card to get back into the US.
    Interesting thoughts. Ones we will take into consideration. I did see a few caches that looked interesting on the stretch from 95 to the border, but it definitely seemed sparse. I liked the look of the webcam near the border though.

Our thoughts were also to take the coast trip back down. But I could switch for sure if something looks better. Thanks for the tips!