vb:literal>

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes an irresponsible cacher / cache hider?

Coffee, lack of coffee!! In some case Beer, lack of Beer!! :-)
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Coffee, lack of coffee!! In some case Beer, lack of Beer!! :-)
    True That!!!!!!!!!Tee Hee

And I agree with Hollora re: What type of cache it is. Not just the size but container ...

Micro = How micro , we've seen the size of a button to film containers and pill bottles.

For me , a Tweeny in caching years, It helps , because it makes me stop and think before going in, like, a film canaster won't fit in that knot hole, but a button would, etc...

And a Full size ammo can won't fit where a smaller ammo can or average Lock and Lock would.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcache View Post
    I'm not at liberty to discuss my Team's Geo-Rallye strategy If the new suits come in...things will be so stealthy that no one will be any the wiser. Can't defend against what you can't see
    Just don't forget to make the arms movable in those Tree siuts, LOL!!

Default and I thought the SMR was a lot of caching...

Default Cache Placement and hints

First of all, thanks to Lois and Dave for these two threads. I hope more folks chime in and I hope you newbie-lurkers out there are getting some helpful info about cache placement.

I have personally made my caches relatively easy to find. Those that have done then know that the Yorktown caches are not hard to find, just a bit hard to get to depending on how much rain we've had. My philosophy is that if the cache is placed so you can't see it when you're at GZ, ie, in a rock wall behiind a rock, then there needs to be a hint that puts the finder on the cache. Some will say that takes the fun out it but if you're being honest a find will give you more satisfaction then a DNF. Granted, Di and I have had a good time and gotten a lot of exercise on some that stumped us, but the idea is to find the cache and not confound the cacher.

We see a lot of coords that aren't very close. Some of this is because folks don't know how to use the "average" feature on their GPS or don't wait a few minutes for their unit to get a solid fix. I bet there are folks right now wondering " Average, what's that?" Not all units have it. I use my trusty Garmin 60csx for placement and get rewarded with posts that comment "Coords spot on!" I like that!

Tree cover is always an issue if there is some. If you have tree cover, then the next cacher may not get close to your cache so put out a solid hint. If you just jammed a match container into the center of a rotten stump, describe the stump if the tree cover is thick. If you say "Stumped" as your hint and there's stumps everywhere, you might offer the diameter of the stump if the tree cover will make reception poor.

And tree cover is not the only issue. In urban settings if the cache is up against the side of a 6 story building, or in a 10 foot high retaiining wall, then the GPS can't "see" any satellites on the opposite side of the structure and you're not going to get a good fix. So the solution is a good hint.

I look at all the logs on my caches and have amended hints and ratings after logs that suggest the cache isn't as easy as I guessed it would be. This is the only fair thing to do. If you enjoy frustrating fellow cachers, then post that and we can stay away from your caches.

Which leads to my personal conclusion that destructive caching is as much the responsibility of the cache owner as the cache seeker. There's lots of clever caches out there that are a challenge to find but can be found without destroying an area. A note that says "No need to move rocks or disturb anything" is a thoughtful and responsible note.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Holy crap!
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    We see a lot of coords that aren't very close. Some of this is because folks don't know how to use the "average" feature on their GPS or don't wait a few minutes for their unit to get a solid fix. I bet there are folks right now wondering " Average, what's that?" Not all units have it. I use my trusty Garmin 60csx for placement and get rewarded with posts that comment "Coords spot on!" I like that!
    I've never had a GPSr that averaged. I do have a program on my laptop which can average when it has a GPSr connected to it as well as giving loads of other geeky information. I used it as well as an amplified antenna in order to get a decent signal for Battleship. All the other caches I averaged the old fashioned way - I went out to the cache location on several different times and days and waited for decent accuracy and wrote down the coordinates. Every trip I averaged the readings and then visited the next time with my new numbers as if I was a cacher and saw how close it got me. IMO this technique is even better than the averaging feature on a GPSr because if you wait for another time you get an entirely different set of satellites. Plus, it verifies you wrote everything down correctly! But averaging GPSrs are great because they will eliminate a false reading you were not aware of.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I think the terms "irresponsible cacher/C.O." can be a bit heavy.......... there are just things that can/could be done differently to Improve upon a situation. None of us knows it all....or gets it correct all the time.

Some great points are being made about proper hints and descriptions. No matter how cautious and responsible a cacher is.....it's the number of folks searching in the wrong places that often Wrecks a gorgeous area. It's not always tall vegetation that takes the hit either. There are lichens and mosses that Can't recover from being stepped on once...let alone all the time. And then you have erosion issues. It's hard to think Everything through.... for sure. Experience and relying on that of others is very important.

I came across a C.O. recently that didn't respect cachers comments and experiences w/his new caches. They're an infant in the scope of the game w/quite a few less than 100 found, and didn't seem open to help. I reminded them of that when they commented on how unique their hide was to the area. I kindly stated that there are Many of those hides out there
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

I still have my trusty "Ol' Yellah" that I will never Part with and I agree that I like it when they log, Coords Right On. One thing I do, And I don't even know if it matters to the exactness but I hold the GPSr right against against the cache for a few seconds, wether it's Up or on the ground and then Mark it.

I just placed a new cache and decided to make it Premium only. I've never done this before, and Noticed an AUDIT link under the coords. It shows who's been looking up your cache. Is this new???? Does this hinder mugglage?
    Sorry.
    I didn't know where to ask this question .

Opalsns