vb:literal>

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes an irresponsible cacher / cache hider?

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    I just placed a new cache and decided to make it Premium only. I've never done this before, and Noticed an AUDIT link under the coords. It shows who's been looking up your cache. Is this new???? Does this hinder mugglage?
    Sorry.
    I didn't know where to ask this question .

Opalsns
    IIRC the audits have been a benefit of MOCs since they were implemented. It does prevent non-members and non-paying members from obtaining the coordinates and other information of your cache.

Remember, however, that more people than are listed in your audit have access to your cache information. I as well as some other cachers rarely visit gc.com's cache pages and obtain our information via Pocket Queries. Of course, in theory only paying members can get PQs.
    Last edited by brdad; 09-05-2009 at 08:04 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Audit log

I just placed a new cache and decided to make it Premium only. I've never done this before, and Noticed an AUDIT link under the coords. It shows who's been looking up your cache. Is this new???? Does this hinder mugglage?
    Sorry.

Opalsns
    My first experience was when Kacky e-mailed me to tell me there was problem with a new cache she had placed that she knew I had been looking at. I was stunned that she knew I had been looking and then learned how it worked.

Now all tough puzzle caches that I publish I use the Audit Log to see who is looking at the puzzle, is in the area, but not finding or logging. If they are looking at it a lot I e-mail or call them offering hints or direction on the solution.

Also most of my caches are initially published as Members only. I do this for two reasons. First, I want to limit the FTF competition in Southern Maine to members only. Second I really enjoy seeing who is looking at the cache page and when. After a couple of weeks I will remove the members only restriction as the FTF is done.

Sorry.

Opalsns
    No the feature is not new as posted by others. Have been a "Premium" for a while, because of using GSAK, and haven't seen your cache publication, nor, can I find it.

Is this the cache on your property where, (quote from a GC.com forum thread) "I pulled them all and I am putting a new one on my property within gunshot range!!! I'm not kidding." ? Just wondering as, if so, probably no need to pursue finding the coords - although I am not guilty of anything - if there is a threat - I am out of here and certainly where I would not advise others to go.

As for your question on muggles and this addition to your cache page - I will leave the answer to others. I do know, sometimes even the small $ per year for the membership are not in the budget of small families.

For me - we can get all hung up on loosing a few dollars worth of stuff and get all upset. Of just go with the flow, replace what is lost and move on. The only thing which changes that for me is when someone infringes on my personal space as happened this summer at my home.

What happened constituted an attack. No, I won't sit with a gun in my picture window. I just posted my property and removed the caches which were there, for the good of the cachers, who I believe had nothing to do with what occured.

You see - it can happen to anyone, anywhere and it may or may not be cache or caching related.............

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    No the feature is not new as posted by others. Have been a "Premium" for a while, because of using GSAK, and haven't seen your cache publication, nor, can I find it.

Is this the cache on your property where, (quote from a GC.com forum thread) "I pulled them all and I am putting a new one on my property within gunshot range!!! I'm not kidding." ? Just wondering as, if so, probably no need to pursue finding the coords - although I am not guilty of anything - if there is a threat - I am out of here and certainly where I would not advise others to go.

As for your question on muggles and this addition to your cache page - I will leave the answer to others. I do know, sometimes even the small $ per year for the membership are not in the budget of small families.

For me - we can get all hung up on loosing a few dollars worth of stuff and get all upset. Of just go with the flow, replace what is lost and move on. The only thing which changes that for me is when someone infringes on my personal space as happened this summer at my home.

What happened constituted an attack. No, I won't sit with a gun in my picture window. I just posted my property and removed the caches which were there, for the good of the cachers, who I believe had nothing to do with what occured.

You see - it can happen to anyone, anywhere and it may or may not be cache or caching related.............
    Yup,
    My Personal Space!!
    It's the cache on my property and when Tat publishes it, You will see it.
    Yup, I said gun shot range, and meant it. My property has been posted since I moved here because my house is in a prime hunting location and my family and nieghbor are the only ones allowed to hunt here. If you come to my cache to steal it , crush it or destroy it in some way, you'll get a load of rock salt in your Butt, If not then there isn't a threat. And If your "ADVISING" folks not to do my cache (?????) then advise them to not go into any woods during hunting season either.
    The question was about a link and was answered twice before you post and you didn't even answer what was asked.
    Way to shoot the Peace Dove , Hollora !?!?!?!??!?!!???????????????????????????????

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    ...... Also most of my caches are initially published as Members only. I do this for two reasons. ......
    That's a good idea and didn't know it could be done....list for members only...then lift that status later. Cool.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Default The ol' rock salt blast!

Now for a little unsolicited advice: In Maine the use of force, deadly or otherwise, has to be the equivalent of what force is being used against you. If you're in a fist fight, you can't pull out a knife. If somebody is using deadly force against you, you can use deadly force to protect yourself.

But if somebody is damaging your personal property, breaking into your car in your yard, messing with a cache, you will end up in jail if you blast them with rock salt, guaranteed. If there's a great concern that somebody would mess with your cache, I wouldn't place it. I've done most if not all your other fun caches, have there been problems other then the coin swiping we've been discussing?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    First, I want to limit the FTF competition in Southern Maine to members only.
    Why don't you want non-paying members to log an FTF on your cache? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not sure I see much reasoning for limiting FTF. It also seems that in a cache dense area filled with FTF hounds who are likely already premium members with notifications and all the other tools, that it would be very unlikely a non-paying member would get FTF.

I can see making a MOC permanently if you want to keep non-paying member TB thieves away from your caches. I can see thinking it might prompt people to obtain a premium membership - but generally they would not even know those caches exist.

Someone in chat asked me a question last night regarding MOCs, so I will mention it again for anyone curious. It is possible for a non-paying member to log a MOC. Someone has to give them the cache information, but gc.com intentionally left a backdoor so a non-paying member could log these caches.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    I do know, sometimes even the small $ per year for the membership are not in the budget of small families.
    Nuts! If someone has the money for a GPSr, computer, printer and/or PDA, and the gas to go riding around looking for geocaches, they certainly can afford $2.50 a month (less than the cost of one gallon of gas) for premium membership.

While not explicitly in the guidelines, I would think that an approver might hesitate to publish a cache at a location where the threatening of any person (cacher or non-cacher) accessing that cache has been stated. Is our resident approver paying attention to this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Nuts! If someone has the money for a GPSr, computer, printer and/or PDA, and the gas to go riding around looking for geocaches, they certainly can afford $2.50 a month (less than the cost of one gallon of gas) for premium membership.
    I have to somewhat disagree with this. There are situations where people might have been given a GPS, use the computer at the library, etc., who may not have or at minimal can not justify the extra expenditure.

However, if you just bought the newest GPS, have a supercomputer, and drive your motor home from cache to cache, quit your crying and pay up!
    Last edited by brdad; 09-06-2009 at 07:16 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Now for a little unsolicited advice: In Maine the use of force, deadly or otherwise, has to be the equivalent of what force is being used against you. If you're in a fist fight, you can't pull out a knife. If somebody is using deadly force against you, you can use deadly force to protect yourself.

But if somebody is damaging your personal property, breaking into your car in your yard, messing with a cache, you will end up in jail if you blast them with rock salt, guaranteed. If there's a great concern that somebody would mess with your cache, I wouldn't place it. I've done most if not all your other fun caches, have there been problems other then the coin swiping we've been discussing?
    Actually Dan,
    If you re read You'll see there wasn't any reason for Hollora to say That except to cause trouble, and she did it on my thread on GC.COM yesterday also.
    If she was concerned about something, she could have asked me, but instead has chose to ONCE AGAIN make me look bad
    If someone comes on MY land to cause Harm or foul in anyway and I catch them, I won't need a gun, That is a GUARENTEE!! And I don't think I'm the only one here that feels that way.
    I've never been to Jail or committed any crime,But I will defend me and mine to the end!!!!It's funny how bad doers get all the legal protection ?!?!

After all the talk about Stings and Camoed people hiding with spiked trail bats to catch and shoot coin thieves, you chose to say something to me?
    Curious????

And Yes, There has been more than coin swiping. I didn't have coins swiped .My caches were destroyed, put out in the open or taken, I chose to archive Oh Deer for this reason and the fact that the Box is deteriorating and the little hill can be slick when wet.
    I like you alot Dan and You must know that by now. I would appreciate it if you would use the knowledge that you have to realize this was a tactic of hers, used to get me into arguments with others on this thread, AGAIN.
    But I'm not going to.
    Dan you and your wife are some of the sweetest people I've talked to.
    There is no " THREAT " to anyone. Please don't encourage her. And If you didn't get a CC: email from her yet, Check again!
    It's a Ploy, please let it go.
    Thank You,
    Respectfully,
    Opalsns