vb:literal>

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What makes an irresponsible cacher / cache hider?

Wow, my membership just ran out and I only had two options, $10 or $15. I wanted to make it an even $20 but could not.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Wow, my membership just ran out and I only had two options, $10 or $15. I wanted to make it an even $20 but could not.
    I think your right.. it went from $5 or $10 to 10$ or $15 .I got my numbers wrong,good save, E, I knew It went up this year.

But any way the thing we were talking about was wether it let you pay less,like you pay what you want because it's a DONATION. I didn't notice, did you when you renewed?? Was there a place to enter another amount?

edited to add It must be 10.00 not 15 I paid. i'll have to check PPal

No, there was no easy way to do it, that I could see anyway.

But to get back to topic, I found a place that needs a cache. A friend told me there use to be a cache there. Is there a way to find out if there was a cache that has been archived by searching the area somehow? I don't want to step on anyones toes or stir up bad feelings?

I want to be responsible. This doesn't happen often so I feel I should take advantage.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

But to get back to topic, I found a place that needs a cache. A friend told me there use to be a cache there. Is there a way to find out if there was a cache that has been archived by searching the area somehow? I don't want to step on anyones toes or stir up bad feelings?

I want to be responsible. This doesn't happen often so I feel I should take advantage.
    Send me a PM or catch me in chat with coords or approximate area and I'll send you back a list of any archived ones there. Sometimes looking at the logs of archived caches gives an indication of whether the spot is a good one or not.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

As others , I have maintained Gsak for a long time and have almost 1100 archived caches in it from Just the state of Maine. There is a good chance that I may have it.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    That is actually a great angle on the subject. In the beginning, I would do anything not to be noticed. I would refrain from doing a cache or otherwise hide or disguise myself so I would not be noticed. Now, especially with urban caches I tend to just look for it so I hopefully appear less like I am doing something illegal and more like I am supposed to be there, and if I am approached by a store owner or other authority I will speak up as if what I am doing is legal and face the consequences but feel good knowing I was truthful. If there are people nearby I feel might plunder the cache, I might refrain from doing it, but if I feel they might like caching I am more likely to speak right up.
    Same here . . . just like Laughing Terry's caches . . . sometimes the best way to hide is to do everything in plain sight . . . attempting to be stealthy sometimes calls more attention to one self vs. just being upfront and open about what you're doing.

And like you . . . I exercise some caution if folks are around . . . some of this is a judgment call, but if it seems as though there are folks who might be more inclined to mess with a cache vs. someone who might just be curious I move on.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

[QUOTE=hollora;56869]No the feature is not new as posted by others. Have been a "Premium" for a while, because of using GSAK, and haven't seen your cache publication, nor, can I find it.

Is this the cache on your property where, (quote from a GC.com forum thread) "I pulled them all and I am putting a new one on my property within gunshot range!!! I'm not kidding." ? Just wondering as, if so, probably no need to pursue finding the coords - although I am not guilty of anything - if there is a threat - I am out of here and certainly where I would not advise others to go.

[QUOTE]

And now,
    The cache I placed on the 5th , still is not published. Although caches placed on the 6th 7th and 8th have ALREADY been published.

I wrote TAT to find out why.... No Response

I sent a SECOND email to TAT and got this response ....

Please keep in mind that our cache reviewers are volunteers. Sometimes other things in their lives cause listings to be delayed a bit. They like to go out and find geocaches, too! You may experience longer than normal waiting time during, for example, the week following a holiday or just after a large geocaching event. We ask for your patience.

MainePublisher
    geocaching.com volunteer reviewer for ME

User's Profile:
    http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?g...d-b011916d9bd6

I returned with this email....

TaT,
    I totally understand you have things to do and i respect that.
    My concern is ...

.. My cache was Placed on the 5th and you have already published caches that were placed on the 6th and 7th . So You can see why I am wondering why it wasn't published as of 9-8-09

Respectfully

Opalsns

and Tat emailed me back this response .......

Greetings Opalsns,

If you believe that I've acted inappropriately, Groundspeak encourages you to send an email with complete details, waypoint name (GC*****) and a link to the cache, to Groundspeak’s special address for this purpose: appeals@geocaching.com.

Thanks again for understanding,

MainePublisher
    geocaching.com volunteer reviewer for ME

What's all this about????????????
    Why do I have to repport Tat in order to get a cache published.

On GC.COM, Sept 6, on my thread , HOLLORA wrote. ...

"I get notices of new caches within 100 miles of my homebase and am a Premium member. Never saw your cache published. Wonder why? "

No I don't wonder Why, I believe I KNOW why.

Thanx so much for helping Destroy another one of my caches.

Unbelievable

Opalsns

Hmmmm..........Universe..........Universal Laws....... Mysterious Happenings all around.

It's very hard for us to see our own reflections in life. That's why we have friends/family. Sociologists say that people close to us are our "mirrors" in life. It's not up to us to point fingers or pass judgements on others. Really we don't need to...The Universe does a great job of giving each and every one of us reminders along the way.

One thing's for sure.....it'll work itself out in time. Things usually do.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcache View Post
    Hmmmm..........Universe..........Universal Laws....... Mysterious Happenings all around.

It's very hard for us to see our own reflections in life. That's why we have friends/family. Sociologists say that people close to us are our "mirrors" in life. It's not up to us to point fingers or pass judgements on others. Really we don't need to...The Universe does a great job of giving each and every one of us reminders along the way.

One thing's for sure.....it'll work itself out in time. Things usually do.

Not really sure what you are trying to say here, But If You know something about what's been happening, Please , Please ,Please, let us all know.
    Thank You,
    Opalsns

I don't know a thing......not logically anyway Perhaps you're being paranoid....I just hope you're not acting premature, unecessarily upsetting yourself and/or others over something simple.

I might have issue if I were the reviewer. Just re-read your post to do w/firearms and intent, which isn't smart or appropirate at all in this forum, let alone one to do w/self defense. Does eminent danger sound familiar!? That has nothing to do w/protection of property. I know I'd take my time assessing whether your cache placement is appropriate. If you posted those comments on GC.com forums as well...perhaps it goes further up than the State level of reviewing and accepting the placement.

We all make mistakes and have to take responsibility for them if we plan to move on in a healthy manner. If you're having so many challenges w/caching and the local community, maybe it's not a good fit. It does happen. Have you checked out other options like Buxley's!? http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/

We all have great qualities and things to contribute to a community. Your attitude & antagonistic postings on other threads aren't very becoming. Are you sure people really know how to take you? The many negative interactions would lead me to believe that something's off. We're all here to have fun...and I for one will say it's not Very fun to read many of the Dramatic and inappropriate postings. Personal politics don't belong in the game of geocaching. Let's not insist otherwise.

Many people's bark is louder than their bite.......however, can you really take the chance!?

Relax and roll w/it. More often than not......we're our own worst enemy
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!