vb:literal>

Thread: And we thought the Stud Mill Road was an adventure!!

Default And we thought the Stud Mill Road was an adventure!!

I just saw this on the GC.com forums, Denver anyone?

New World Record - 413 geocache finds in ONE day

ventura_kids Yesterday, 07:31 PM

WHO:
    EMC of Northridge California
    F0T0M0M
    Ventura_Kids

WHAT:
    Set a new World Record for Speed caching.
    We found a total of 413 caches in one day.

WHEN:
    August 29th 2009 - Midnight to Midnight

WHERE:
    Denver, Colorado, USA

WHY:
    We just wanted to see if it could be done.

HOW:
    We had 4 cachers in one vehicle.
    We started by waiting across the street from the first cache until exactly midnight.
    At midnight we ran across the street and started searching.
    The weather was perfect.

Total Mileage Driven = 471.5 (1.08 miles per cache)
    Total Caches found/Dnf'd =413/23
    Average cache time = 3 Minutes 18 Seconds

3.49 minute per cache to find a place to park, search, sign x 4 people, re-seal and re-hide then drive to the next cache. That includes no pee break or lunch break or allowing for one missed turn. And that is just the found caches, they stated they DNFed 23. They couldn't have searched but a few seconds.

Heck, it takes me 30 secs to switch my GPSr from the current cache to the next one and 15 seconds to secure my seatbelt. I spend more time looking for covers to film canister after I drop them then I do looking for the actual cache. There would be no way that I could have done it alone, never mind with 4 people. Even thinking about the distant would have meant that I would have had to stop for gas at some point.

I hate to do this, but I agree with BrDad on this one. They had to cut to many corners to achieve the numbers they did. I just hope they didn't make the C.O. have to go repair all those caches.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Default Holy Crap!

That is a lot and I have been looking at some of that stuff and their logs. That is an adventure indeed.

I know what you mean about having to go out and repair caches. I have had to go out twice already and yet again to fix mine that have only been out for a couple of months. This speed caching thing is tuff on the caches.

When asked they said they could only remember two of the caches they did that day. But all that being said, they do hold the world record and that is something.

Hummmm, I'm getting an idea.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default Hummmm, I'm getting an idea.

Bring it on!!!!!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

Default I'll give you an idea!

Incorporate some new technology into all those hides so you can keep up with maintenance - invent self healing caches!

DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

413 in one day??? Holy <explicative deleted>.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

I used to live in Denver before caching came into my life, where are these hides located in that area? Is it stud mill style with a cache every .3 of a mile? or were they just random caches? PNG's? If its on the side of the road, but is a 3 star or above difficulty, is it still a PNG?

Quote Originally Posted by squirreldh View Post
    I used to live in Denver before caching came into my life, where are these hides located in that area? Is it stud mill style with a cache every .3 of a mile? or were they just random caches? PNG's? If its on the side of the road, but is a 3 star or above difficulty, is it still a PNG?
    Some place I saw a video on this. I don't see a link on this thread though.

Maybe it was in my head? It's getting harder to tell the difference.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I was chatting with Ventura Kid in chat and he informed me of this new audio article discussing his day. He is as much of a purist as I am but regarding the numbers instead of quality. It's nearly an hour, but worth listening to!

A Record-Setting Power-Cache
    Last edited by brdad; 10-31-2009 at 02:17 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."