vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lonely and not so lonely caches

Quote Originally Posted by benandtina View Post
    I didn't know there was a GetNear() function. My thought was that if you are iterating over all n^2 (n is number of caches, so 4534 I guess) and calculating distance (using the sqrt((x1-x2)^2+(y1-y2)^2) or whatever formula) you would be better off with a query that computes the n^2 distances but likely has less overheard. However, with GetNear() that may not be the case. On the other hand, we have no way of knowing what GetNear() is doing behind the scenes so it could have some crazy overhead of it's own. I'm curious now, so if I have time maybe I'll fool with it a little tonight
    GSAK has a decent explanation of its macro functions and abilities in it's help section. Another way I can have it take less time is to only update the caches which are affected by new caches or the loss of a cache by archival. That way, the first time it was run it would be slow, but subsequent runs would be faster. That is the way the elevation macro works now.

Cano told me about an evolution algorithm he came up with that would predict where new caches are being placed based on current cache density. It sounded pretty impressive, but when he explained the theory to me my eyes glazed over a little bit. Maybe you can get his thoughts? I think he mentioned that he'll be at one of the upcoming events, but I'm not sure which one(s).
    The only thing I know about evolution is I definitely evolved from an ape! I'll have to ask him or perhaps he can enlighten me here, or at least help predict the dates, let alone the place!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

OMG....a Brdad in training.......

Speeding up algorithms is fun Any way I could help?

Is the script's runtime n^2 (so comparing each cache to each other cache)? If so, maybe you can try out SQL to speed it up? I don't know how familiar you are with SQL or if that was what you already had in mind, but I have some ideas that I THINK would let you get that data with a single SQL query rather than nesting loops. The query will use a cross product, so all records will still be compared to each other, but my guess would be that it will likely be a little bit quicker than the nested loops. Let me know if you'd like to hear out those ideas
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I love it when my Science minded friends talk over my head. I just listen intently and hope that it's soaking in.... trusting that the seeds planted will germinate one day. I've had more than one lightbulb come on over the years
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    OMG....a Brdad in training.......
    Oh no, quite the opposite! I just tinker until it works. Tina knows what she's doing! I have about a year jump on GSAK, but I assume she'll buzz by me in a few weeks playing around!

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    For a "not about the numbers" guy, you sure give us all lots of them to see
    Ah, but these numbers are not competing against any other numbers. As soon as every other state starts comparing theirs to these, they'll be pulled off quicker than most of the spam we get here.
    Last edited by brdad; 09-09-2009 at 04:49 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Oh no, quite the opposite! I just tinker until it works. Tina knows what she's doing! I have about a year jump on GSAK, but I assume she'll buzz by me in a few weeks playing around!
    Not really! I probably wouldn't have even thought to start tinkering with GSAK if you hadn't shared your waterfalls macro with me That's what inspired me to sit down and learn about this stuff! Usually I'm much more content just clicking random buttons and seeing what happens, lol.

And screaming for some reason.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I may be going crazy (comes with the territory, father of twin 5 year old girls and all), but I just looked at the Little Falls Cache. There appears to be a cache about two miles away as the crow flies, Along The World's Longest Undefended Border (GC67FE).
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    I may be going crazy (comes with the territory, father of twin 5 year old girls and all), but I just looked at the Little Falls Cache. There appears to be a cache about two miles away as the crow flies, Along The World's Longest Undefended Border (GC67FE).
    GC67EF is as Andy stated a Canadian cache closer than 17 miles to his cache. My database only included Maine caches.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    GC67EF is as Andy stated a Canadian cache closer than 17 miles to his cache. My database only included Maine caches.

Gotcha. I didn't see that post.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

My word.....reading through this thread......do any of your computers, Blackberries, or GPS'rs ever start say the words "TILT - TILT - TILT" ???????