vb:literal>

Thread: Thanks for the "Welcomes"

Default Thanks for the "Welcomes"

I have been enjoying this sport called geocaching for a little over a month. So far I find it to be great fun - have found 33 so far. I have been aware of geocaching since 2002 when my son got involved. I didn't develop any personal interest in the sport until my wife bought me a GPS as a gift. Now we go together most trips.

Does this sport dry up come the winter snows or are there caches available to search for during the snow season? How can one discern which are winter-time accessable?

Clockdoc1940

Most made for Winter caches will have an attribute listed on the right side of the cache page. It looks like this:

But many other caches are able to be found in Winter, it just takes some research and a bit of work and maybe some extra tools. Crampons and long pole for poking, for example.

There is also an article Mapachi wrote titled Winter Caching that may help. If you do a search of the forums you will find other topics pertaining to the subject as well.
    Last edited by brdad; 10-06-2009 at 05:04 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

This will be my first winter as a cacher, so I can't say from personal experience... but, I've heard others talk about caching in the winter If you look at the icons on on the right-hand side of many of the cache pages it tells you whether or not the cache is winter-friendly. Also, if you have a premium membership you can set up your Pocket Queries to get caches marked as winter-friendly.

Oops, brdad beat me to it by thiiiiiis much

Welcome to Geocaching in Maine and geocachingmaine.org! Always glad to add another member

In my experience, even some "winter friendly" caches are buried when we have snow like the last 2 years. Is there a generally accepted distance from the ground to claim "winter friendly" ? The answer is that it depends on the hider's interpretation. We've had a few "dnf" (did not find) on winter friendly caches because the snow was deeper than "normal". You can check the logs to see if a cache has been recently found and that is a good indicator that it is indeed "winter friendly"

Hope to meet you on the trails or at an event really soon
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Default I found a bunch.

If you use "Pocket Querys" I checked off the "found in the last 7 days" box. This let me know which caches were accessable, or at least not frozen in.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Welcome clockdoc . . . and I've got to ask . . . about the name . . . do you work on clocks?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."