vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Geocache Archival

Default Geocache Archival

I'm confused about when a cache is to be archived. Does it have to be shown that it's inactive/missing...and/or not maintained for a period of time?

Someone found a cache last month up North that hadn't been found in over two years! Just wondering why that one wasn't archived w/such a long history of inactivity.

Then you have caches like one down here. You know how many folks won't DNF!? Well this one has been DNF'd 10 times and not found since the beginning of June. It's been marked for maintenance. I've written the cache owner for extra hints as he requested, hoping to log that it is indeed there, and still haven't heard a thing.

So...for all the frustrated people I've met trailside that complained/commented, and continue to look for a cache that may very well not be there...... Help!!
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcache View Post
    I'm confused about when a cache is to be archived. Does it have to be shown that it's inactive/missing...and/or not maintained for a period of time?

Someone found a cache last month up North that hadn't been found in over two years! Just wondering why that one wasn't archived w/such a long history of inactivity.

Then you have caches like one down here. You know how many folks won't DNF!? Well this one has been DNF'd 10 times and not found since the beginning of June. It's been marked for maintenance. I've written the cache owner for extra hints as he requested, hoping to log that it is indeed there, and still haven't heard a thing.

So...for all the frustrated people I've met trailside that complained/commented, and continue to look for a cache that may very well not be there...... Help!!
    This has been a mystery to me also. It appears that an indivifual can request to have anothers cache archived but there doesn't seem to be any criteria that needs to be met. A mystery that goes hand-in-hand with this is that we can't adopt others peoples caches without their direct intervention but we can ask to have their caches archived without their involvement. Kind of ironic.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

I have a caches that get found once or twice a year (if that) but I visit them regularly. They're in some nice spots and on some nice rides, I don't archive them because I know they're still there and in good shape.

I also have a cache "the wandering orca" that went missing with a DNF and so I disabled it. It was disabled for a while (6 months I think???) I didn't get out to fix it due to a lack of transportation, but soon after new wheels were aquired I went up to replace it. I had intention to replace so I didn't think archiving was an option.

Then I've had caches that I thought were a good idea when I placed them, but after having them exist for a while better judgement told me to not have them, so I archived those ones.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Just remember another thing too. If you do happen to archive a cache of yours make sure you remove it as well. Not good to have a lot of geotrash hanging around.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Just because a cache doesn't get a lot of activity doesn't mean anything is wrong. On the other hand if there are a lot of DNF'S then there is a possibility that is is indeed missing. A check by the cache owner should dispel any knowing that it is there or not. Brdad's caches are a good example. He has a few in the Clifton area that might get a dozen or so visitors each year if that and he also has one right in Waterville that gets tons of DNF's but it is well known and usually gets found after a few more DNF'S.Took me a few tries myself....LOL
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Just because a cache doesn't get a lot of activity doesn't mean anything is wrong. On the other hand if there are a lot of DNF'S then there is a possibility that is is indeed missing. A check by the cache owner should dispel any knowing that it is there or not. Brdad's caches are a good example. He has a few in the Clifton area that might get a dozen or so visitors each year if that and he also has one right in Waterville that gets tons of DNF's but it is well known and usually gets found after a few more DNF'S.Took me a few tries myself....LOL
    All my caches except Old 470 are lucky to get two finds a year, and that number drops every year as more locals get them and more easier caches pop up nearby for the tourists. I'm ok with that, but it's not time to archive them!

In fact, my A mile from a halfmile (GC8D2A) by brdad (1.5/2.5) and Halfmile (GCH21C) by brdad (3/3.5) are on the stats list for not being found in over a year.
    Last edited by brdad; 09-11-2009 at 07:11 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    In fact, my A mile from a halfmile (GC8D2A) by brdad (1.5/2.5) and Halfmile (GCH21C) by brdad (3/3.5) are on the stats list for not being found in over a year.
    Thanks for the reminder......I'll be local to them(10 days) after the Eustis event. I can't believe I've been driving the back-roads of that area for 3 years and didn't discover the SMR until Ekidokai introduced it w/his caches.

So these two are at the top of my list. I'll have the whole party hiking for them Have any other areas you can recommend for hiking/driving up there?
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

It'd be a fantastic time of year to do my newest cache, Sounds Easy To Me (GC1VFWZ) by brdad (3.5/3)!

Driving to the parking for Mile From a Halfmile cache is getting tougher, depending on your vehicle. Got my Dakota in there no problem. Just a lot of brush growing up in the road. Other hikes and drives ... hmm, lemme think...
    Last edited by brdad; 09-11-2009 at 07:40 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Red face i might be lazy

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcache View Post

ok i got the hint i will check it as soon as i can. no excuses just been to busy. and the cache is only 1/2 mile from my house. sorry phil i also have not checked my email for awhile and found i had 623 unread messages and lots of time my computer is on but i am not around and i use this site as my homepage. wait i thought i siad i had no excuses
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

Just do it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.