vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on a journal system

Default Help me decide on a journal system

I am looking for some feedback on something that is not geocaching related.

As some of you already know I am going to hike the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine next year. I will also be attempting to keep a journal while I am hiking. This is where I would like feedback from others. For the last couple of months I have been working on a web site to host my own journal. There is also a web site that hosts nothing but hiking journals and I have an account there too. I need to decide which one I want to use because I am not going to use them both. I was wondering if I could get a few people to look over both of my journals on each web site and let me know what they think is the best one as far as layout, ease of use and everything in general. If you would like to look at them both hand let me know which you think is the best one, please use the links below.

http://www.trailjournals.com/attroll
    This is the one hosted on Trail Journals.

http://attroll.com/journals/
    This is my own personal web site I have been working on.
    Please click on “Sample Journal for my Appalachian Trail hike”. This is a sample of 10 days of hiking would look like.
    Blazing Troll

Your own site appears to be more informative, easy to navigate, has more potential for post-expedition and is tied to you directly. Short and sweet, I prefer your site.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I also prefer your site over the trailjournals.com one. The biggest reason is because I don't think people should have different blogs for each topic that interests them. I think it's easier in the long run if everything goes through the same database but is categorized or tagged based on topic. So, as pm28570 said, it has more potential after the trip than the trailjournals.com one does.

I too like your own personal journal as well. Oh and one other thing,writtings is spelled writings..... only one "t" You definately need to use spell check as I noticed quite a few spelling errors in the journal as well.......LOL, not picking on yah Rick,I promise.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Hey Rick do you have a link to that "Buff" that you mentioned in one of your logs from your Bigelow trip? Sounds like something I would be interested in and also what is the hammock that you use?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

go with the personal one it is much betterthan the other
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Hey Rick do you have a link to that "Buff" that you mentioned in one of your logs from your Bigelow trip? Sounds like something I would be interested in and also what is the hammock that you use?
    I now have two regular Buffs and I just received one with a visor on it. I love them. I have ordered all mine through www.planetbuff.com

My hammock of choice now is made from someone that is just starting out in the business. Warbonnet Designs and the name of the hammock is the Blackbird. I am not going to try to talk anyone into moving to a hammock for camping but once you have tried it you will not go back to the ground.
    Blazing Troll

O and Haffy thank you for pointing out the spelling mistake.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I now have two regular Buffs and I just received one with a visor on it. I love them...... I am not going to try to talk anyone into moving to a hammock for camping but once you have tried it you will not go back to the ground.
    We love our Surivor buffs...I use them Year Round. Thanks for sharing the link...I hadn't seen some of the new designs. I'd love to get GC.com to offer some!! I'd love one of each: Signal, Geocaching symbol, CITO.

Even in extreme conditions...when set up properly... we loved hammocks in the military for many environments. I currently enjoy the parachute/brazilian style.

Rick...do any GPS photography? That can be a great help when journaling such long trips.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

I am not sure is I am going to carry a GPS with me. I doubt it. I would like to and use the Geotag function with my photos but I do not want to carry the extra weight.
    Blazing Troll