vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Event Planning

Hybrid View

Default Event Planning

Several of us have been talking about holding events. It's amazing the logistics involved in holding a good one. Several questions have come up, and a few new ideas as well.

It's often challenging to look at the event listing for specific information. People often write that they won't be attending and it adds more info. to process.

On several sites I belong to, you often have the event listing and brainstorming area, then there's a separate listing for the logistical information. Many of them offer a database or spreadsheets where people can list attendance and what they're bringing for the event. That way there you can quickly reference and know how best to serve the event/community.

The Geo Rallye coordinators have done well to offer some of this, though off-site. Is there an easier way to do similar w/in the GCMe.org site?
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Sheesh! What the heck are you asking? LOL!

We have polls on here, right? I guess you could use that as an RSVP...

lol.....leave it to an ENFP to say so much.......while saying so little!?

Events w/food! The general listing can include what the facilities offer, and what people should or might want to bring. Like coffee pot, tea kettle, Water Jug, Punch Container, outlets for slowcookers, tables, chairs.

For Potlucks, it's hard to look up and know what everyone is bringing! Is there a better way to list/categorize what folks are bringing? That way there people can make sure all aspects of a meal are covered. We don't want all meats or desserts....gotta get veggies in there

Plates, bowls, cups, utensils, drinks(hot/cold), Meats, pastas, salads, casseroles, veggies and everyone's plentiful favorite at an event...Desserts!

Just didn't know if we had ability to run something on the site software, to provide a template for organizing such.

Having attended many events over the years I don't think there has been a time when there was for a want of anything. It all seems to come together and there is always plenty for everyone and many times many leftovers for the cleaners afterwards.... I always make it a point to help with the cleanup....
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Having attended many events over the years I don't think there has been a time when there was for a want of anything. It all seems to come together and there is always plenty for everyone and many times many leftovers for the cleaners afterwards.... I always make it a point to help with the cleanup....

I worried about that last year. I bring all the plates, cups, coffee, etc. So all people have to bring is food for the potluck. And last year it worked out great. Everything tasted good, it was the best potluck I'd ever been to, there was plenty. The only complaint I had was the desserts... they all looked so good and I was too full to even taste many!
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

I think we're going to see personalities shine through on this topic!!

The only way I have seen it work, is for the host to keep updating the thing. As people say they are bringing an item, make a list and update it for the people.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

The groups I belong to where it's worked primo are on yahoo or Google/G-mail. The list automatically gets updated as you go.

We've also used it for gear lists when organizing large outings or camp-outs where everyone's pitching in to help.

I think it depends on the individual hosting the event. I depends on whether they want to host the event or really host the event. There is hosting an event where you provide the place and people come. Then there is hosting an event 100% yourself, which means providing all the food and prizes and everything yourself. Most people host the event by providing the place and get help from other people with the prizes and rely on others to help bring the food. There is nothing wrong with doing it this way but then you have to always worry whether there will be enough food and drinks for everyone.

I do see what Squirrelcache is meaning by this though. It would be nice to be able to do this but I really don't think many people like to put that much effort into an event by keeping up with who is bringing what and posting it on the web page.
    Blazing Troll