vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Event Planning

I was asked a while ago if there was a way to automate updating a spreadsheet and placing it on the cache page, but I could not think anything up that was worth anything.

I think the best bet if the owner wants to update it on a regular basis is to make a spreadsheet and save that as an html table and paste that into the cache page.

I usually won't trouble myself to go to an extra web page. In fact, since often I don't know if I am attending, I don't specify what I am bringing! And no one has ever brought anything to a pot luck that was close to what I brought. At least not yet.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    .......I don't specify what I am bringing! And no one has ever brought anything to a pot luck that was close to what I brought. At least not yet.
    Guess I'm not so lucky.......someone offered what I wanted to at the Last Cache Bashe. So I brought something else that's not common & often a hit......the spoon went unused. Can't win them all I know.......doesn't mean you don't try.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcache View Post
    Guess I'm not so lucky.......someone offered what I wanted to at the Last Cache Bashe. So I brought something else that's not common & often a hit......the spoon went unused. Can't win them all I know.......doesn't mean you don't try.
    Wow, I thought I tried everything - at least once! Maybe it was easily overlooked? Seems funny no one would have had any. What was it?

I often make sweet and sour meatballs, but I had made a huge batch the weekend before for a card tournament, and there was enough leftover I had some every day all that week - I could not look at another meatball! So Lee made some ham and something rolls - there was a good amount of those left, too, but that's partly my fault - I told her one batch wasn't enough!
    Last edited by brdad; 09-22-2009 at 04:32 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

And now, for some unsolicited advice.......
    1. First, don't over-think it. It's unheathly. Have fun.
    2. Talk to everyone who's done an event. (I suspect you're half way there already.
    3. Refer to #1.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelcache View Post
    Several of us have been talking about holding events. It's amazing the logistics involved in holding a good one. Several questions have come up, and a few new ideas as well.

It's often challenging to look at the event listing for specific information. People often write that they won't be attending and it adds more info. to process.

On several sites I belong to, you often have the event listing and brainstorming area, then there's a separate listing for the logistical information. Many of them offer a database or spreadsheets where people can list attendance and what they're bringing for the event. That way there you can quickly reference and know how best to serve the event/community.

The Geo Rallye coordinators have done well to offer some of this, though off-site. Is there an easier way to do similar w/in the GCMe.org site?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Default Excellent Advice

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    And now, for some unsolicited advice.......
    1. First, don't over-think it. It's unheathly. Have fun.
    2. Talk to everyone who's done an event. (I suspect you're half way there already.
    3. Refer to #1.
    Sometimes the best things just "happen"....
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    Sometimes the best things just "happen"....
    Ummm......yeah........ have two of those lol..... they'd laugh at that one
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

I know LisaS is bringing pulled pork to the event and I'm probably going to bring meatballs again.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

I think @attroll is right, more or less, that there are the two kinds of "hosts" one could aspire toward. However, I do believe there are a couple ways you can play the middle. You could ask that everyone bring $5 or so and order pizza. (I find most places are willing to offer and discount if your ordering that much food.) The same idea could work for the prizes as well. Everyone throws in $X and the winner takes all. Or you buy giftcards up front and the admission "fee" pays you back. Also, have you attempted to ask local businesses to donate the prizes? I hold events like this in the San Jose area and I utilize some of these techniques.