vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugarloaf Geocoin

Hybrid View

Default Sugarloaf Geocoin

It was really great meeting so many of you this weekend at EU2, and I am totally psyched for next year's event already. Based on comments in the EU2 thread, and questions I received at the event, I figured I should post this here. For those I didn't meet, I work at Sugarloaf overseeing the retail stores at the mountain. This summer I hid private caches around Sugarloaf for our guests to find, as well as providing GPSs for them to use, to introduce them to geocaching. I also had made some Sugarloaf geocoins. Here is a picture of them (I am sorry for the poor quality, it was taken on my phone). Anybody interested in more information about this coin can contact me at jbyrne@sugarloaf.com or call me at 207-237-6825. Thanks again, and I hope to see you all again soon.

Cheers,

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00121.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	401  

one question you will most likely get asked a lot is: is this coin trackable on gc.com? i have sent an email.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

It looks like the tracking number is on the bottom edge of the coin.
    Blazing Troll

Default Coin

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    It looks like the tracking number is on the bottom edge of the coin.

Yes, it's trackable. You activate it at oakcoins.com. I was given one at the event and it's lovely!
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

I to got one and I love it!!

Default Loaf coin

Thanks John for the coin. As a dedicated 'Loafer since 1955, and a dedicated geocacher since.. well a little less then 2 years ago, I'm proud to have this coin. The Loaf was a huge part of my life growing up and we trecked up there from Waterville just about every weekend. When I started skiing, there was just 2 t-bars, then 3 for about 8 or nine years. By high school there was the "Sugarloaf Club Cars" aka gondola.

The mountain used to be covered with mogols and in 1969, my senior year in high school, 2 back to back blizzards in early April buried the mountain. My friends and I called home on Sunday when it started skiing and advised the roads weren't safe and we opted to stay in the Valley. Monday the mountain was closed as the access road was covered in 20 foot drifts. Tuesday, they used a bulldozer to plow the road and around noon they started running a few lifts. The number 4 and 5 t-bars had drifts all the way to the top of the t-bar supporting towers and those lifts never re-open that year. The snowfields extended down a solid half mile from the top of the gondola! The skiing was insane. With no cell phones, our parents had no idea what we were up to...snowed in they told the principal at Waterville High!

Just a quick story, one of my fondest moments of many about Sugarloaf. The place still rocks, the moguls are mostly gone, the mountain is covered with million dollar homes but the rush I get from blasting down Guage non-stop remains!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Thanks John for the coin. As a dedicated 'Loafer since 1955, and a dedicated geocacher since.. well a little less then 2 years ago, I'm proud to have this coin. The Loaf was a huge part of my life growing up and we trecked up there from Waterville just about every weekend. When I started skiing, there was just 2 t-bars, then 3 for about 8 or nine years. By high school there was the "Sugarloaf Club Cars" aka gondola.

The mountain used to be covered with mogols and in 1969, my senior year in high school, 2 back to back blizzards in early April buried the mountain. My friends and I called home on Sunday when it started skiing and advised the roads weren't safe and we opted to stay in the Valley. Monday the mountain was closed as the access road was covered in 20 foot drifts. Tuesday, they used a bulldozer to plow the road and around noon they started running a few lifts. The number 4 and 5 t-bars had drifts all the way to the top of the t-bar supporting towers and those lifts never re-open that year. The snowfields extended down a solid half mile from the top of the gondola! The skiing was insane. With no cell phones, our parents had no idea what we were up to...snowed in they told the principal at Waterville High!

Just a quick story, one of my fondest moments of many about Sugarloaf. The place still rocks, the moguls are mostly gone, the mountain is covered with million dollar homes but the rush I get from blasting down Guage non-stop remains!
    I am another one with memories of the "Loaf" in the 60s. Just bought one of the coins for my friend Church-hill who has been my best buddy since HS and who traveled with me from Bangor to ski every weekend. Had a VW back then which covered many miles through a ton of snow storms.

i just got my coins in the mail the coin looks great thanks skishop
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

I used to ski a lot in my younger days but I was a "Backer" not a "Loafer. Used to have a season's pass at Saddleback. A lot cheaper and less crowds back then. Also used to have a camper on the back of the pickup and my x-wife and myself used to stay in the upper parking lot in the camper the whole weekend. We'd wake up with frost on the inside cause the furnace wasn't all that good but had we each other to keep us warm...lol The good "ole" days
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I used to ski a lot in my younger days but I was a "Backer" not a "Loafer. Used to have a season's pass at Saddleback. A lot cheaper and less crowds back then. Also used to have a camper on the back of the pickup and my x-wife and myself used to stay in the upper parking lot in the camper the whole weekend. We'd wake up with frost on the inside cause the furnace wasn't all that good but had we each other to keep us warm...lol The good "ole" days
    Man, if I did that now-a-days, I'd be too stiff to ski the next day. I can camp, but I'm a cold weather weenie Gotta have a warm bed.