vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hmmm... Has this ever happened to you?

Default Hmmm... Has this ever happened to you?

I scouted out a location for a cache in a small park nearby where I live. I went through all the process of contacting to local parks and recreation director and getting permission (he knew about geocaching and said one of his coworkers geocaches, but I didn't get his screen name). I went to the park with cache in hand and was ready to place it when I discovered an apparent transient had pitched a tent about five feet from where I was going to place the cache. I left the area without placing it and contacted the director, telling him that I hadn't placed the cache and why I hadn't.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

I've experienced similar only while trying to find existing caches. An "Old" cache in Waterville is one I've all but abandoned the search for.......just too disgusting. If parents realized what goes on at that site, I'm sure they wouldn't let their kids play on/around it.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Yes, unfortunately this happens, even at Old470. I have never seen anyone actually sleeping there but have cleaned out trash and even an old blanket - plenty of evidence. I'm guessing the city cleans up around it every now and then, but it certainly isn't every day. And I remember the period of time squirrelcache is referring to, the stench was awful.

When we were doing the cleanup in Brewer (last year I think), there was a path into tiny chunk of woods where there was a recliner and other evidence of a homeless location. I have done maybe as many as ten other caches where I have seen the 'residences' of homeless people. Rarely have I seen the people, I imagine in the middle of the day they are out and about. I'd be more leery doing many caches at night because of this, including Old470. Any structure similar to that will attract someone looking for shelter. If I didn't have anywhere to sleep, I would too. It's just too bad some people are filthy and are happy living in their own sewage.

We try to make a habit of using hand sanitizer after many caches, especially urban ones. We have no idea what or who has been at those monuments, light poles, park benches, or anything else in the city. How many posts or signs have you felt around the base of to find that film can? Now, how many of those do you suppose were peed on by at least one dog, or other critter or human?

I came across a cache in Unity in 2005 that made me more uneasy than a homeless residence. And most everyone else finds this cache and doesn't see it - and it's still active today (not sure about the items I saw, however). Check my log and pics!
    Last edited by brdad; 10-01-2009 at 07:23 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    . . .
    I came across a cache in Unity in 2005 that made me more uneasy than a homeless residence. And most everyone else finds this cache and doesn't see it - and it's still active today (not sure about the items I saw, however). Check my log and pics!
    Never saw that myself . . . but I wouldn't worry too much . . . since this cache is on Unity College property you never know what those crazy neo-hippie granola types will be building in the woods.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

. . . and then there's the infamous Fitz Cache.

What more can be said about that one other than oh my!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Never saw that myself . . . but I wouldn't worry too much . . . since this cache is on Unity College property you never know what those crazy neo-hippie granola types will be building in the woods.
    It wasn't so much the buildings. It was the vast array of various skeletons and bones around the site and hanging on the trees!

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    . . . and then there's the infamous Fitz Cache.

What more can be said about that one other than oh my!
    Oh yes, forgot about that one. I wish that situation had been handled differently, but what's done is done and we move on.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    I scouted out a location for a cache in a small park nearby where I live. I went through all the process of contacting to local parks and recreation director and getting permission (he knew about geocaching and said one of his coworkers geocaches, but I didn't get his screen name). I went to the park with cache in hand and was ready to place it when I discovered an apparent transient had pitched a tent about five feet from where I was going to place the cache. I left the area without placing it and contacted the director, telling him that I hadn't placed the cache and why I hadn't.

There was a cache located here in Augusta that was a "popular" area for transients. I also recall another cache that caused quite a controversy here on these forums. That cache was allegedly located near a roadside meeting place for "alternate lifestyle" men. There were a few post and logs that indicated there may have been unwanted encounters and that cachers needed to be made aware. (Is there a politically correct way to say that without offending anyone?) That cache led to lots of discussion.

I've never heard mention of a specific incident/conflict between a cacher and a transient or any issue arising from a cache in an area that is used for other purposes. I think this is not so much an issue as it is an opportunity to remind folks that it is their responsibility to know where they are and to use a little street-sense when in an unfamiliar area.

Cache On!!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

i have a cache where people used the area as a dump and left a bunch of arm chairs and some whites (washing machine). when i got the post on what was happening i made the calls to the appropiate town office and by the end of that day the refuse was gone.
    i also have done a cache where it was at a boat launch. the coords brought you on a small trail into the woods where you could still see the cars. as i went into the trail i walked into an awkward situtation where there was a man standing there with his pants around his ankles and a hand full of condoms. i walked right by him and up the trail to the cache without saying a word. when i returned to go back to the van he was gone and there was a pile of condoms on the ground. he left in a hurry. i posted my find and sent an email to the cache owner. i went back recently with another cacher and found a brand new fence put up and all the brush was cut down. the place was a lot cleaner and there was no evidence of any perverts around in the woods. i guess without the coverage they are forced to use their own vehicles.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    i have a cache where people used the area as a dump and left a bunch of arm chairs and some whites (washing machine). when i got the post on what was happening i made the calls to the appropriate town office and by the end of that day the refuse was gone.
    i also have done a cache where it was at a boat launch. the coords brought you on a small trail into the woods where you could still see the cars. as i went into the trail i walked into an awkward situation where there was a man standing there with his pants around his ankles and a hand full of condoms. i walked right by him and up the trail to the cache without saying a word. when i returned to go back to the van he was gone and there was a pile of condoms on the ground. he left in a hurry. i posted my find and sent an email to the cache owner. i went back recently with another cacher and found a brand new fence put up and all the brush was cut down. the place was a lot cleaner and there was no evidence of any perverts around in the woods. i guess without the coverage they are forced to use their own vehicles.
    I hate to ask this, but in that situation, what the hell were the condoms for?

I have only had one encounter. I was looking around for a place to put a cache and suddenly someone taped me on the shoulder. Before I knew it he was on the ground gasping and I was way surprised and felt horrible. After helping him up and apologizing I gave him $20 dollars for food and left. He was just trying to get my attention and ask for money. I still feel bad about it. Then I hear on the news there was some trouble near the bridge where the cache was going to be. Glad I didn't put it there now.

Needless to say I did not put a cache there.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

In the big city you'll see people carrying "apple" juice jugs. Perhaps.......I dunno....maybe.... he wanted to be responsible w/his liquid dispersal & e-coli because he was near a water source!? It's a method used by stealth missions around the world
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!