vb:literal>

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Delorm

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    I tried it last weekend, and it was such a welcomed change from all the papers we tried to keep track of before..having no palm or blackberry.
    Sheesh! I'll keep saying this until I'm, blue in the face: Cachemate will work on any Palm based PDA, so cost should not be a concern when "going paperless". You can pick up used PDA's on eBay or at a pawn shop for under $10.

You can now have other types of imagery with the Oregon's as well. It is not just a DeLorme thing any longer.

I also have a PN40 from DeLorme and just don't use it any more. It is just a paper weight!

I have actually toyed with selling it! Humm, that's an idea!

Truthfully, the Oregon has come a long way from its inception. It has most of the kinks worked out of it and it functions very well. Oh yes, it works with winter gloves on as well.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    You can now have other types of imagery with the Oregon's as well. It is not just a DeLorme thing any longer.

I also have a PN40 from DeLorme and just don't use it any more. It is just a paper weight!

I have actually toyed with selling it! Humm, that's an idea!

Truthfully, the Oregon has come a long way from its inception. It has most of the kinks worked out of it and it functions very well. Oh yes, it works with winter gloves on as well.
    How does that function work? I saw the icon for images but have no clue what its for or how to put those maps on. Can you download images and overlay them on the maps like google earth?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Has anyone had any experience with the Dakota's yet? I like the idea that it is smaller,along the lines of the Etrex which I like.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Some people will not really listen until you are that deep deep pretty dark violet blue in the face. I think we are just beginning to get the message
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

Default Oregons

Like gob-ler said, they have made some nice improvements in the firmware since we picked up a couple and I agree that they work just fine in cold weather. I do think the lithiium batteries don't last long in these units in really cold weather. I've gone to re-chargeable batteries at Al Gore's suggestion (just kidding you Gore bashers!) and I think these are the answer.

I worked my way through 5 different Garmins and liked them all, each a bit more then the next. I will admit that I'm still using the 60csx for establishing coords on new caches I put out. The Oregon doesn't have an averaging feature, or if it does, I don't know how to use it.

Glad to see the "great one" is still lurking!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterski View Post
    Some people will not really listen until you are that deep deep pretty dark violet blue in the face. I think we are just beginning to get the message
    He loves Turkey's........of course he uses that image
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

There is a waypoint averaging function on the Oregon. It is a regular menu item and simple to use. OF course the longer you let it average it greater the accuracy you get.

As for the Turkey comment, I must have missed something along the line!

Now for the Image/Raster Map thing there is a detailed discussion at

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=233269
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Default Averaging

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    There is a waypoint averaging function on the Oregon. It is a regular menu item and simple to use. OF course the longer you let it average it greater the accuracy you get.

As for the Turkey comment, I must have missed something along the line!

Now for the Image/Raster Map thing there is a detailed discussion at

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=233269
    I have had several unites and tried out the averaging feature. All six went through over 100 tries and the accuracy changed a lot and the coordinates never moved. Not one number. So as far as I can see that feature doesn't really do anything. If you let it sit and it just keeps changing the accuracy but the coordinates don't change, what difference can it make except make feel better.

You can go to a spot take readings and walk away. Or you can go to a spot take readings stand there as long as you want waiting for the unit to cycle through as many readings as you want and still walk away with the same coordinates as you started with.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Gobbler- what you missed was just whererwe's comment about him telling us something until he was blue in the face.
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."