vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hiking shoes

I definitely agree that you want the higher cut for ankle support. For me, the low cut works fine as any pains I often suffer from are in the foot itself.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

I've got a pair of waterproof 3/4 "Hi-Tec's" that I bought at Walmart almost 5 years ago and they are the most comfortable boots I've ever had and having been wearing really well too. For less than 40 bux too so I can't complain.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Something else to consider is use trekking poles or walking stick(s). Relatively inexpensive and helps quite a bit by offering a little more stability. You're welcome to try mine if you would like.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I am not sure.

Most of the people I have talked to said they have gone through at least two pairs of hiking shoes for this hike. Some people have gone through three or four pair.

I was debating on having a second pair here at the house in case I did go through a pair, then I could have the wife send me the extra pair. But a lot of the AT hikers I have talked to in the past said your feet sometimes get bigger on a trek like this so I figured I better not.
    A friend of mine did the AT a few years ago and I asked him this exact question. What he did was find the hiking boots that were the best for him and bought two extra pairs. He broke in all three before he left and had someone send the two extra pairs when he needed them. He went through all three pair and said that having them already broke in when he received them made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I've got a pair of waterproof 3/4 "Hi-Tec's" that I bought at Walmart almost 5 years ago and they are the most comfortable boots I've ever had and having been wearing really well too.
    Which reminds me... WalMart is hiring.

I was wondering about the breaking in part. I've got a pair of Bean's that I've had for a while and I can't seem to get them broken in like I want. Great support, just can't get 'em where I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick or Treat View Post
    A friend of mine did the AT a few years ago and I asked him this exact question. What he did was find the hiking boots that were the best for him and bought two extra pairs. He broke in all three before he left and had someone send the two extra pairs when he needed them. He went through all three pair and said that having them already broke in when he received them made all the difference.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I know alot of serious hikers in New England, esp. peak baggers. On their suggestion I looked into the matter at LLBean. The employees there can sometimes walk 8 plus miles in a shift and wear these boots Inside! So I bought some and am surprised how comfy they can be. They're gore-tex lined and leather upper...not to mention the Bean's guarantee which is awesome! I know many that hike through the winter w/them! Check out the Italian made Cresta. Out of 40 reviews @ Bean's online..95% would recommend them, and many are on their second or more pair of them.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

i would just go with what feels right. i never had luck at beans' because they tend not to have my size but have had good luck with new balance http://www.nbwebexpress.com/category...showDetails=no maybe not what your looking for but an option. there is an outlet store in skowegan.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

Asolo Boots are the best I have warn. They are a bit more than most people want to spend, but they last and require almost no break-in.

Your feet may be different, however, and each brand uses a different mold to shape their boots.
    The Adventure
    Continues . . . .

- Zoltarus