vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maps...HELP!!!!!!

Hybrid View

Default Maps...HELP!!!!!!

Somebody laid out a colored topo of the general area we cached in at Eustis with all the caches shown.

I'm told that the folks that absolutely creamed the rest of us newbies at the Rally use maps as well.

We have MapSource. Not sure if it would be a good kindling to start a fire, but that's what I'm thinking.

So how do I get a handle on this? Is the Delorme program the way to go? I'd love to have a map with caches I'm going to hunt for a day to take along. HELP!!!!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Delorme Street Atlas is the way to go - unless you need the detail of Topo.

When we go on a caching trip, we always print maps of the area with caches indicated. Makes it easy to plan a route and to check-off caches as you log them. And you'll find it has many other uses as well...

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Somebody laid out a colored topo of the general area we cached in at Eustis with all the caches shown.

I'm told that the folks that absolutely creamed the rest of us newbies at the Rally use maps as well.

We have MapSource. Not sure if it would be a good kindling to start a fire, but that's what I'm thinking.

So how do I get a handle on this? Is the Delorme program the way to go? I'd love to have a map with caches I'm going to hunt for a day to take along. HELP!!!!

Might cost you a beer but I'd be happy to show you a little about mapsource and nRoute.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

I made the map a the event with the DeLorme Topo program it will let you print 3x3 6x6 etc. Pretty easy to use once you get used to it (like anything else) You can drag and drop PQ's.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Richards View Post
    I made the map a the event with the DeLorme Topo program it will let you print 3x3 6x6 etc. Pretty easy to use once you get used to it (like anything else) You can drag and drop PQ's.
    Now we know who made that map! You are the best TR!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Now we know who made that map! You are the best TR!
    Sorry I didn't know it was anything anyone wanted to know.
    My plan was to color code the challenges and put it on the bulletin board. but I ran out of time, and forgot to bring tape to tape the maps together...ooops.
    Next year I'll do better.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Richards View Post
    Sorry I didn't know it was anything anyone wanted to know.
    My plan was to color code the challenges and put it on the bulletin board. but I ran out of time, and forgot to bring tape to tape the maps together...ooops.
    Next year I'll do better.
    Oh my - like you didn't do enough - you did wonderful! Someone said those were all in one big protective bag - I don't remember that - but they were nice - to take the maps and sheets and see where you might want to go. Were they in one big bag or was each sheet in a protective 8 1/2 x 11 page?

Thanks for all you do.

There are a ton of mapping programs out there. It isn't just having the program - but - also knowing how to tweek it to do what you want.

My son is doing a ton of mapping stuff for the ATV club he belongs to and for himself - blows me away with what he has and what he can do.......right now his priority is ATVing.

I have a terrain program and don't even know how to use it. It was recommended by someone who taught a GPS course I took - can I find caches better? Not really! LOL

Default Now were talking!

Thanks for the responses. OK, Dave, of Team Richards, so if you want to help us with this you are invited over for a gourmet meal, piano concert featuring James Taylor, Elton John, Billy Joel and any other artists from that gendre that you and Holly like. Or we'll babysit the boys for a weekend, watch your house, walk the dog and iron your shirts! We promise not to teach Willaim and Jacob how to make martinis!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

[QUOTE=hollora;58118]Someone said those were all in one big protective bag - I don't remember that - but they were nice - Were they in one big bag or was each sheet in a protective 8 1/2 x 11 page?

The maps I made were not in any protective cover I had some of the single page protectors but I didn't use them. I didn't see any other maps at the event but it is more than possible that I missed them. The ones I made were on the TB table.

Here is a sleeve that's 33x47 give or take.
    http://www.secol.co.uk/MAPSLEEVES.SHTML