vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maps...HELP!!!!!!

Delorme's Topo8 can be easily set up to be used as Topo....or Street Atlas style! I believe Street Atlas is just handier if you need the extensive POI databases. I do it all the time.....and even color code my levels of terrain/difficulty. I've even been known to set up layers of Dif/Ter that can be switched on/off.
    I'm just nuts about geocaching!!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Thanks for the responses. OK, Dave, of Team Richards, so if you want to help us with this you are invited over for a gourmet meal, piano concert featuring James Taylor, Elton John, Billy Joel and any other artists from that gendre that you and Holly like. Or we'll babysit the boys for a weekend, watch your house, walk the dog and iron your shirts! We promise not to teach Willaim and Jacob how to make martinis!
    Love to help. If you want to see the Topo before you buy we can set up a time for you to see it. I may even have an older ver you can have if you want give it a whirl

I pumped Dan up about the idea in Eustis before the event. I thought he said he has Topo7. Dan I'm sorry I gave you the hi-speed low drag lesson on it. I understand if you're more visual in learning and can def. relate. Don't hesitate to speak up.

[QUOTE=Team Richards;58122]
    Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Someone said those were all in one big protective bag - I don't remember that - but they were nice - Were they in one big bag or was each sheet in a protective 8 1/2 x 11 page?

The maps I made were not in any protective cover I had some of the single page protectors but I didn't use them. I didn't see any other maps at the event but it is more than possible that I missed them. The ones I made were on the TB table.
    K - yeah - those were the ones I saw but I thought someone said something about those being in protectors (Trick or Treat perhaps??)

I am ok with it because I wipe out maps any way. Destroy Delormes...........that's life for me...............

Default Topo it is

We finally got Map Source to work, but of course we have no idea how to put caches on it. I have to go to Portland tomorrow so I'll stop and get the Delorme Topo. Anything else I'm going to need to get started on this?

Thanks for all the offers to help....I'm going to need it!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

There are Many ways of doing it.......all depends on what you're comfy with and works for you. GSAK is the most important.....gives you the most flexibility. From there you use what mapping gives you the best features. I like to use the mapping on the LT for ease of seeing it all. I dump from GSAK to the GPSrs and Topo8. Then using mapsource I lay out a route and put that on the Nuvi.

The hardest part...is getting your team all on the same sheet of music......so many different ideas, personalities and interests.
    Last edited by squirrelcache; 10-06-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: too wordy as usual ;)

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I have to go to Portland tomorrow so I'll stop and get the Delorme Topo. Anything else I'm going to need to get started on this?
    You shouldn't need anything else.

It was me who was asking about the sleeve that I thought the map at the TB table was in. I've been looking for a sleeve like one that Aefuss used to have. It had 9 (3 x 3) protective pockets that were joined together and you just slid your 8.5 x 11 pages into them and it would fold up. Very handy for printing out large maps of an area. I couldn't remember for sure, but I thought that the one that Dave did up was in one of those and was wondering where he got it.

I'm loving this thread because I've been wanting to create maps of my caches and routes, too. I love to have a paper 'visual' of where I am going on a caching trip and don't know how to go about it. I was talking to Mainiac about it at Eustis, too, and he showed me a quick demo. I now have a copy of Topo USA 6 and a copy of Mapsource and am trying to figure out the best way to do it.

9 - 3X3 pockets almost sounds like a floppy disk or CD protector for a notebook?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    9 - 3X3 pockets almost sounds like a floppy disk or CD protector for a notebook?
    When I need a map of geocaches I just open my PQ in google map, then zoom out the web page (ctrl + mouse wheel) and zoom in on google map. This way I will get a high resolution picture of the map. Next I just print it to PDF file, do some changes if needed and print it on paper.