I have the same situation. The pipeline that crosses my property is relatively remote and must be accessed by foot/ATV/snowmobile starting about 2 miles away. That said, it's described as an easement to the U S Government (who installed the pipeline), I still retain the privilege of paying taxes. While this pipeline is very popular with hunters and snowmobilers, for the most part, the users have been responsible users. There is always the exception of course; hunters who ignore the signage stating to ask permission to hunt beyond a certain point and ATVer's who tear up the land when wet and muddy. All in all, I think the CO made the right call and is certainly being a responsible cacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Richards View Post
I just want to point out the "most cases" part. I am not looking at this pointing out, or pointing at any cacher, this is just information.
We have a pipeline that runs across our propery. we get no money or benifit of any kind from this pipeline. We are required to allow access to the pipeline company 24/7/365, we also have to allow them the right to maintain the pipeline (which means they can cut a 50 foot path for a 12 inch pipe.)
The pipe was there when we bought the land so we had no say in it. According to the previous land owner neither did they when the pipe went in.
All in all we don't mind anyone using the land but some people abuse it. They run their trucks up it likes its the mud run at the fair and cause a lot of mess. It's this kind of behavior that ruins it for folks who want to hike, ride horses, geocache etc.
In our case, because I pay the taxes on the land I think I should be able to say who does and who doesn't use it. I don't look at the pipeline as a tenants because I get nothing from them, I see them more as squatters.