vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Newbie question

Default Newbie question

My kids and I went out last night to try to find a few caches in our area. We found nothing because the three spots were around shopping centers - kind of our back in a woodsy area. Me being who I am was worried that someone was going to call the police on me for loitering. Does that happen? Do the establishments know that there is something out there? I want to go back but don't want to get in trouble for tromping through the woodsy area.

Hopefully whoever owns the land knows it is there and is okay with people tromping through the woods.

Another cacher gave us a pamphlet that explains Geocaching. I think it may come from http://geocacher-u.com but the site is taking really long to load so I can't verify that. We kept the pamphlet with us and give it to either land owners or law enforcement if they stop us and don't know about the cache. We've been stopped twice (once by a police officer for parking on the side of the road, another time by border patrol near the Canadian border) and both officers were very nice when we explained what we were doing.

Speaking from experience, most Officers have encountered geocachers before and a good chunk of them have tried it. Hold up the gps and let them know what's up. Of course, hiding around a bank and midnight may make them excited, but short of that you should be ok.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

As long as you don't mention my name you'll be fine in most cases.

Your not the only one looking for the caches and I always encourage stealth on all caches so they don't come up missing. A lot of cachers are not very stealthy at all. So don't worry about an encounter with the public or officials. This is fun and who knows, you might get someone else interested.

I have placed one in a parking lot at a chain store and it is approved.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I have given up being stealthy most of the time. If it's just someone near the cache site, I might hold off looking at all. But if it's just if store owners or passersby nearby residents, I just go at it as if I am supposed to be there. I'd rather not appear as though I am doing something I am not supposed to. Head up, no hiding behind a tree or other object - just look like you are searching for something. Generally if you are confronted in this manner, you will be more believable.

Caches hidden in these areas should have been placed with permission, but you can't always count on it.
    Last edited by brdad; 10-07-2009 at 12:04 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

My biggest pet peeve is when the CO asks to be stealthy at the cache site. If I have to be stealthy then the cache isn't worth the time to hunt for it. I'll hunt the the typical urban micro but being stealthy isn't one of my finer points. I'll either just pass on it if there are people around or not look at all and go on to the next.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I love the ayer of secret agent aspect of the finding. It's not for the unimaginative though.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default Urban Camo for the Seeker?

The best way to be invisible in urban areas is to put on a hard hat, yellow vest and hold a clip board.

No one will pay any attention to you then! I have heard that the above items are standard on equipment for urban cachers in Florida.