vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just wanted to share

Cool just wanted to share

the other night at work i met a fellow from south carolina. he makes wooden canoes.he offered to show me one of the paddles he made that he had with him. each canoe and paddle are made by hand no patterns or jigs. i was amazed by this and thought i would share it with you guys here is the link to his web site: http://www.woodsongcanoes.com/canoes.htm

i don't think i could ever afford one but they are still beautiful pieces of work.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

Look pretty awesome. Thanks Jamie
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

That is very cool. Thank you for sharing.
    "Keep on reaching for the stars. You may find that someday you can pull yourself out of the gutter."

Very nice.

Oh dear God!

$150 deposit on a paddle. Just the paddle and it takes 40 hours to make.

$10,000 to $25,000 deposit and then five payments after that. Holy crap! What could the total be? $150,000.

1100 to 2000 hours to make the canoe.

Works of art is right. they do look great. I was considering getting one, but they look real heavy.

Thanks Hide.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Actually they are pretty light considering the length. They usually go 50 lbs. or less
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

most of the wood used is water treated meaning it has been under water for decades it is beautiful wood. maybe someone can do something like that out of the wood they drag up from flagstaff lake.

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    most of the wood used is water treated meaning it has been under water for decades it is beautiful wood. maybe someone can do something like that out of the wood they drag up from flagstaff lake.
    There are two entrupenuers (? sp) bringing wood up from the bottom of the Penobscot River. The salvage rights to the Penosbcot River belong to the Penobscots and one of the gentlemen is Penobscot and has obtained salvage rights. An interesting article in the news about this wood and their recovery efforts recently.

I remember as a child dragging old logs and trees out of the West shore side of Beach Hill Pond in Otis. There was great discussion back then of the quality of this water cured wood. I know, once it dried out if you cut it with a saw and used it in a fire, it lasted a lot longer than and dried wood which had been cut and stacked in a wood pile.

We kids used to dive down with our fins and masks, put a rope around a log and drag the end out to the adults who would pull it out of the lake with a 4 x 4. Great fun on a summer night.

The future for all the wood under Maine lakes is only beginning to be tapped. Interesting and thanks HFTK for sharing this beautiful craft and reviving some childhood memories for me.

child hood memories were just like yesterday. i have swam at beach hill pond and lived not 5 minutes from it. never knew about the wood harvesting. i might have to go for a dive soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    There are two entrupenuers (? sp) bringing wood up from the bottom of the Penobscot River. The salvage rights to the Penosbcot River belong to the Penobscots and one of the gentlemen is Penobscot and has obtained salvage rights. An interesting article in the news about this wood and their recovery efforts recently.
    Sounds pretty interesting, Hollora - do you remember where you read about this? I'd like to check it out.