Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Bangor Parks & Rec Trails - Survey

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default Bangor Parks & Rec Trails - Survey

    Since there are Geocaches on the Bangor Parks & Rec Trails in many parks, I thought I would bring to your attention the department is currently running a survey. They are looking for your opinions on the use of City Trails and how to address the concerns of dog owners and non-dog owners.

    Take the survey on line at http://www.bangorparksandrec.com/info/default.aspx You do not have to be a resident to complete the survey.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,059

    Default

    This is good. I know it only takes a couple bad doers to make everyone else look bad, but dogs and their droppings are an issue in the city woods, or better yet their owners are an issue.

    I hate it when a dog owner says "Oh, he never bites anyone"! I should not have to be confronted with the situation of wondering if he does bite!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    I took the survey and I gave them once instance at the Bangor City forest where I had a huge dog run up to me and almost knock me down. Scared the crap outta me at first as I had no idea where the owner was or even knew the dogs intentions. Fortunately for me the dog was friendly and the owner finally came around the corner after a few minutes. Good thing for me and the owner it was a friendly dog or he would have had a lawsuit on his hands...lol. I think dog parks are a great idea which I think is the reason for the survey. They make leashes for a reason. Irresponsible owners are my biggest concern.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I took the survey and I gave them once instance at the Bangor City forest where I had a huge dog run up to me and almost knock me down. Scared the crap outta me at first as I had no idea where the owner was or even knew the dogs intentions. Fortunately for me the dog was friendly and the owner finally came around the corner after a few minutes. Good thing for me and the owner it was a friendly dog or he would have had a lawsuit on his hands...lol. I think dog parks are a great idea which I think is the reason for the survey. They make leashes for a reason. Irresponsible owners are my biggest concern.
    Right on - thanks for taking the survey. I even mentioned in mine I appreciate caches being allowed and that is one of the motivators for going to Bangor public parks/trails. I hope others who have cached the Bangor trails also take the time to respond.

  5. #5

    Default

    a friend of mine tried inventing a doggy poo hammock. kind of a sock that hangs from the dogs butt and catchs the poo. but could not get a dog to keep it on. good idea for those lazy owners.
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    abbot me
    Posts
    754

  7. #7

    Default

    i did the survey as well
    seen on bumper sticker: visualize--whirled peas

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    America
    Posts
    2,538

    Default

    Took the survey and mentioned geocaching.

    Twice while out on the trails I have seen off leash dogs attack on leash dogs. I have been tripped by one on leash dog. Also the pet waste is becoming a problem.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Auburn, Maine
    Posts
    621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Took the survey and mentioned geocaching.

    Twice while out on the trails I have seen off leash dogs attack on leash dogs. I have been tripped by one on leash dog. Also the pet waste is becoming a problem.

    I also took the survey and shared my experience of Chip being "pinned" by a larger, unleashed dog. I am proud to say that nobody has ever (or will ever) step in any waste that Chip leaves behind. It is a shame that the BCF has such a dog waste issue and as it stands now, it's a walk of shame for dog owners.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    I also took the survey and shared my experience of Chip being "pinned" by a larger, unleashed dog. I am proud to say that nobody has ever (or will ever) step in any waste that Chip leaves behind. It is a shame that the BCF has such a dog waste issue and as it stands now, it's a walk of shame for dog owners.
    Oh, oh - I love what you have said. I was the bad for years at the dog shows - shaming people to pick up their poop - explaining why hotels didn't want dogs.......but I never thought of the phrase - "Walk of Shame". Very nice! Well - not that we should have to have it - but it says it all for those who do not pick up the poop!

    I did not realize about Chip - I am so sorry. These folks who have dogs who do this don't get it. It was like the Boston Terrier who chased Amara's baby carriage around Prentiss Woods - barking and nipping at the wheels - all the while with the owner saying, "she won't bite". Yeah, tell that to the child's Mom who was bitten in the a _ _ riding her bike on the road in middle school and bitten in the face by a show dog at a dog show. When I asked the owner to call her dog - she asked why and said the dog (she named it - can't remember the name) didn't know how to come. duhhh!

    Hey everyone, thanks for sharing your experiences and doing the survey. I am sure Bangor is interested to know others from outside their city use their parks and also to get your input. And if our reason for going there is geocaching - good for them to know that too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •