vb:literal>

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WhereRWe? & RULost2? Caching Trip

Default WhereRWe? & RULost2? Caching Trip

We're off again, and I thought I'd write a few words about our trip as it develops. Hope someone finds it interesting.

First day, left home at 5:30 AM on a 20-hour, butt-knumbing trip via Bangor, Detroit, Minneapolis, and San Francisco, ending up at N31 19.631 W157 50.087.

Remember: If you ever go on a long flight, bring your GPSr. Although we had clouds from Bangor to Minneapolis, the weather cleared and it was a great help to know exactly where we were as we crossed the snowy mountains of Wyoming and Utah, the deserts of Nevada, and the big farms in California.

Finally arrived at the hotel about 10:30 PM (5:30 AM Maine time), and after 2 drinks apiece (Sheesh! $25 PLUS tip!), we crashed.

Another reminder: if you reserve an "ocean view" room, be prepared for a letdown (or an argument with the desk clerk for a different room, if you're so inclined). The room next to us - away from the ocean - is a "partial ocean view" for $14 a night less.

No geocaching today, as we had our son with us, who doesn't understand how much fun it is. RULost2? and I are heading out tomorrow and hope to place all the TBs and geocoins we brought with us.

I'll let you know how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post

Remember: If you ever go on a long flight, bring your GPSr. Although we had clouds from Bangor to Minneapolis, the weather cleared and it was a great help to know exactly where we were as we crossed the snowy mountains of Wyoming and Utah, the deserts of Nevada, and the big farms in California.
    A good tip for sure Bruce. I have brought mine on every flight. Lets you identify cities as you fly over them too.
    Happy Trails!

Hey Bruce....have fun and I look forward to hearing of your travels. And thanks to you and RULost2 for lugging that coin for me.

We're off again, and I thought I'd write a few words about our trip as it develops. Hope someone finds it interesting.

First day, left home at 5:30 AM on a 20-hour, butt-knumbing trip via Bangor, Detroit, Minneapolis, and San Francisco, ending up at N31 19.631 W157 50.087.

Finally arrived at the hotel about 10:30 PM (5:30 AM Maine time), and after 2 drinks apiece (Sheesh! $25 PLUS tip!), we crashed.

Another reminder: if you reserve an "ocean view" room, be prepared for a letdown (or an argument with the desk clerk for a different room, if you're so inclined). The room next to us - away from the ocean - is a "partial ocean view" for $14 a night less.

No geocaching today, as we had our son with us, who doesn't understand how much fun it is. RULost2? and I are heading out tomorrow and hope to place all the TBs and geocoins we brought with us.

I'll let you know how it went.

Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    A good tip for sure Bruce. I have brought mine on every flight. Lets you identify cities as you fly over them too.
    Mine never worked on any airplane
    Moo

I think you have to hold it out the window to get the signal.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Mine never worked on any airplane
    I do note that it seems to take a LONG time for the GPSr to acquire enough satellites to give you some coordinates, even though plenty of satellites are shown. Once it does lock a signal, I got at least 8 satellites.

Sitting on the southern side of the plane also helps as there are a lot more satellites south of us.

Have a fun and safe trip!!

We always bring the GPSr on a flight and haven't had issues getting signal. it is really fun to follow along as you fly. Last flight on Delta had a tracking map on the seatback display that was pretty cool.

Hope you have a great time and get some fun caches
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Try the patio seating next time. No overhead bins but the view is priceless.

I do note that it seems to take a LONG time for the GPSr to acquire enough satellites to give you some coordinates, even though plenty of satellites are shown. Once it does lock a signal, I got at least 8 satellites.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Try the patio seating next time. No overhead bins but the view is priceless.
    Sheesh! Don't get me started on people trying to save the $15 baggage check fee by trying to stuff their suitcase in the overhead bins! LOL!

BTW: I placed your geocoin in the "Pineapple Experience" cache today.